ninety-two

Davina let out a big sigh and stared out of the car window. The sun had disappeared beneath dark clouds, a few drops of scattered rain were already falling from the sky. She felt slight prickles on her skin and there was an anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach. More than that, there was sadness. I didn't say goodbye to Kol. There had been no time, not with all the people inside the compound, not with Klaus's hawk like eyes watching them as Kol awkwardly told her to be safe and watched her get inside the car.

All because of Dahlia.

Davina's hands clenched painfully inside the pockets of her coat. She felt afraid of what was coming. What the hell had Dahlia in store for them?

Kol had delivered Freya's warning and it prompted everyone into action. Bonnie and Klaus had already made up their minds about moving them to safety but Freya's message made the process even more urgent than before. Davina barely had time to pack a few essentials before she and Charlotte were put in the car with the twins and Bonnie while Klaus drove them to the Bennett mansion. The black SUV fit all of them comfortably but the mood was somber. Dahlia was a sinister presence that became stronger with each passing minute, growing like clouds outside. It was almost as if they were living on borrowed time.

Will Kol be okay at the compound? Davina couldn't stop worrying about her boyfriend. She wished she had been allowed a moment alone with him prior to their departure but they both had been fearful of being discovered and hadn't dared to exchange anything more than a few stolen looks. When will I see him again? She let out another long sigh of despair. I miss him.

"There is no need to fret, Juliet. I'm sure you will see your Romeo soon enough," Klaus's voice broke the silence inside the car.

Davina looked up immediately, her face the perfect picture of surprise. "...I...what..." she stumbled. Why would he say that?

Bonnie who had been scribbling something on the grimoire in her lap, snapped her head in Klaus's direction, her brows furrowing. Charlotte who was sitting next to Davina, clutching Ms. Cuddles in her arms also glanced at Klaus, a curious look on her face. Alarm bells had gone off in all of their heads upon hearing his words.

"You and Kol are not as clever as you think you are."

Davina's breath hitched as she met Klaus's eyes through the rearview mirror. She was sitting directly behind him, while Charlotte sat behind Bonnie. She felt claustrophobic all of a sudden. They were confined to a very small space and as much as she wanted to, she couldn't escape. "I..." it was at the tip of her tongue to deny it and dismiss his words but she couldn't find the courage to do so. Klaus's enigmatic blue eyes had her pinned to her seat. It was scary how easily he could paralyze someone with a mere look.

"Did you honestly believed I wouldn't figure it out?"

Davina bit her lip and looked down, her cheeks turning red. Klaus knew about her and Kol. Oh my god! She wanted to die. This was not how she expected Klaus to find out. This was not how she wanted to have this confrontation. Now more than ever, Davina wanted Kol. They were supposed to do this together.

"And judging by the guilt I'm sensing," Klaus turned to Bonnie then. "You knew all along."

Bonnie winced and closed her eyes briefly. Klaus's voice was super calm, he wasn't shouting or demanding, he was simply stating a fact. The bond however, told Bonnie a different story. He was not happy; because of Kol and Davina's relationship or because she had kept it from him, she wasn't entirely sure but Klaus was definitely not in a good mood. "Klaus, I-"

"And you also have a guilty look on your face," Klaus pointed out as he glanced at Charlotte through the rearview mirror. "I shouldn't be surprised considering you tried to help them."