sixty-five

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐒

While Rebekah watched over Matt and waited for him to return to the land of the living, Klaus, Kol, and Elijah gathered in the study. The strong wind from outside rattled the windows as the three brothers sat in silence. They all seemed to be in a rather melancholic mood.

"I dreamed about father," Elijah's voice cut through the quietness in the room.

Kol who had been in the process of refilling his glass of whiskey froze and gave a startled look in Elijah's direction.

Klaus's head also snapped towards his elder brother. "What?" he needed Elijah to repeat what he had just said because he was certain he must have heard wrong. The nightmare he had about Mikael immediately came back to his mind.

Elijah contemplated his half empty glass of whiskey for a couple of seconds before lifting his face and looking back and forth between both of his brothers. "I had a dream about father," he said once more. "I was chasing Tatia through the forest." He focused on Klaus. "Do you remember? She loved that game."

"She did," Klaus concurred while contemplating his own drink. In their youth, they had spent countless hours playing in the forest surrounding their hut. Tatia in particular had loved being chased by them. The reward for the one who managed to catch her was a kiss on the lips. Klaus and Elijah had competed arduously against each other in order to get a kiss from her sinful mouth.

"Father came out of nowhere and killed her," Elijah finished. The dream had disturbed him greatly, not only because of his father's unexpected appearance but because Originals rarely had dreams. They had no need to sleep, therefore they rarely lowered their guards to the point of falling into a deep slumber and dreaming. Elijah had not done that in a long time.

"I had a dream about him too," Klaus confessed before taking a sip of his whisky. Could both dreams be connected somehow? They lived in a world that was far too dark and dangerous for things like this to be mere coincidence.

"Did you really?" Elijah felt intrigued by the revelation.

"He took perverse pleasure in tormenting me as usual," the hybrid muttered darkly. And killing me, he thought angrily. The horrible dream of being left alone by his family had left him quite shaken. The fear of being alone still prevailed inside him.

Elijah glanced at Kol who had remained very quiet.

Klaus also stared at his younger brother, waiting for him to join the conversation.

"I haven't dreamed about father," Kol answered their inquisitive looks. He looked down, fingers tightening around the glass in his hand. "I saw him," he confessed in a whisper.

"Saw him?" Elijah repeated thinking he heard wrong.

"What the bloody hell are you saying?" Klaus questioned immediately.

"It was just a flash." Kol looked up right away. "The night of the party," he licked his lips as he recalled those terrifying few seconds. "I followed Davina up the stairs and we were talking when he was just there...and then he was gone..." Kol placed the glass down on the coffee table before running his fingers through his hair in a nervous manner. "He was gone in a second, I..." Had it been real? Kol did not want it to be real. "I wasn't even sure if actually saw him. It happened to fast."

"Did you see him, yes or no?" Klaus demanded, his angry blue eyes pinning Kol to the spot.

"I don't know!" Kol snapped. He didn't like the way they were both staring at him. "I told you, it happened so fast. It could've been a trick of the light, or I could have imagined the whole thing...I..." he trailed off in frustration and looked away from them. "I haven't seen him since then." He had been waiting but nothing strange like that had happened again.