ninety-one

Bonnie stood on the balcony, her finger playing with her necklace. Are you out there? She wondered as her eyes contemplated the city. It was another beautiful morning in the French Quarter and everyone was going about their business as usual, but somewhere out there was Dahlia. The evil woman that had scared her little girl, that had made her cry uncontrollably, and shake with terror.

She's here, she's coming for Ingrid.

What am I going to do?

Bonnie had plenty of ideas, the problem was that the more she learned about Dahlia, the more omnipotent she seemed. Freya's potion idea was good, Bonnie's own idea of locking Dahlia in a prison world was even better but would that be enough? Why did she feel like she was stumbling on a precipice?

What if we fail?

Her heart froze with terror. I can't fail. Bonnie was determined to give everything she had in her to keep her daughter safe. No matter how powerful Dahlia was, magic always had a loophole and Bonnie was going to find it, one way or another, she was going to find a way to stop her.

There was a soft knock on the door but Bonnie ignored it.

She couldn't stop thinking about Dahlia, about Ingrid's little body shaking in her arms as she cried her heart out. Her daughter was sleeping peacefully now but Bonnie would never forget the previous night. It had only been a few minutes, but the anguish Ingrid had endured would haunt her for all eternity. Dahlia will pay for making you suffer, Bonnie vowed as she glanced at the crib where her twins were sleeping peacefully. She will regret coming for you.

"Bonnie," Lucy's soft voice brought her out of her thoughts.

Bonnie turned around to face her cousin.

Lucy offered her a small smile and handed her a mug of coffee. "Mom is making breakfast, I didn't know if you wanted some but I figure coffee wouldn't hurt."

"Thanks," Bonnie murmured as she took the mug, drinking right away. The hot liquid slid down her throat and she closed her eyes in appreciation. It had the right amount of cream and sugar, just how she liked it.

Lucy glanced at the king size bed and the little girl sleeping soundly under the covers. Charlotte had spent the night with Klaus and Bonnie. She had been afraid of the bad woman coming for Ingrid but the two of them had reassured her that everything was going to be okay. Neither of them had the heart to carry her back to her room after she had fallen asleep between them. They both spent a tense night waiting for the worst.

"It took a while before she fell asleep," Bonnie told her after taking another sip of her coffee. "She kept talking about the bad woman taking Ingrid away."

Lucy nodded. She had seen how upset Charlotte had been last night, she hadn't been as terrified as Ingrid but Charlotte could no doubt sense that something bad was coming. No, not coming, it's already here in the city. "What are we going to do?" she asked Bonnie. She hadn't been able to sleep either. She had spent the night in Elijah's arms, feeling unsure and scared of the evil that had finally made her presence known.

"I knew she was coming," Bonnie said softly. "I knew it was only a matter of time but I still felt like we would have time to get everything together...to..." she had been stupid enough to believe that they would be prepared for Dahlia's arrival. They weren't.

"Do you think we still have time to make the potion?"

"I doubt it," Bonnie responded. "Finn and Rebekah left earlier this morning to get Freya but I want to have everything ready to lock Dahlia in a prison world instead." It was a safer bet than the potion they hadn't even started.