10th: Dead Stars and Withered Flowers

“Truth is like a flower, if you tend to it and leave it in the sunshine, it will blossom into something beautiful for all to see. If you hide it in the dark and neglect it, it will wither and die.”

—Angie Karan

"If some people believe that souls from the deceased go to the stars, where do you think dead stars go?"

Hindi agad nakaapuhap ng sagot si Alona mula sa narinig na tanong. Saan naman galing ang tanong na iyon ng binata?

"Don't the extremely massive ones explode?" Hindi siguradong sagot ni Alona.

"Correct. They explode in a supernova." Clifford replied with a small smile in his face as he stared at the night sky.

Napalingon na din si Alona at namataan ang nag-iisang nagliliwanag na bituin sa kalingitan. Marahil hindi niya ito napansin kanina dahil sa kapal ng ulap na tumatakip dito.

"How about what happens when stars finally exploded?" Muling tanong ni Clifford.

"Isn't that a topic way back in Grade 6? Stars?" Hindi napigilang tanong pabalik ni Alona.

"Yes, I just find it fascinating. So what do you think?"

"Hmm, from what I can remember, it blasts their chemical creations into space, seeding the universe with a new generation of stars." She answered trying to recall her memories with something from her childhood.

"Have you notice how it connects with a person's life?" There's one thing that came first to Alona's mind after hearing his question.

"What, are we really going to talk about reincarnation and stuffs?" Natatawa niyang tanong pabalik na nakaani ng mahinang tawa mula sa binata.

"Well we're not really going into something deeper as that. It's just more of like, new beginnings if you're going to ask me." Alona can hold the thing that Clifford wanted to share but a part of her mind seems to not want to entertain that thought.

"You have to die a little to live again."

"More of you have to sacrifice to start again." Napalingon si Alona sa naging sagot ni Clifford ngunit natagpuan niya ang sariling nakikipagtitigan sa malalamig nitong mga matang seryosong nakatingin din sa kaniya.

There was something in his eyes that Alona was so drawn to. His eyes held hers in a way that she, herself, doesn't want it to let go.

"What's the thing that fascinates you the most?" Tanong nito nang hindi pinakakawalan ang mga mata niya.

If she wasn't so drawn to his gaze, she would've lied and said something more common in a question that requires about herself.

Ganoon na ang kinalakihan ni Alona, hindi niya basta-basta sinasabi ang mga gusto niya. Even Elisha doesn't know this.

But right now, as she stared at those eyes that stared back at her, she can't help but to answer what her heart truly wants.

"Flowers."

She saw a small smile form in his lips after hearing her answer. He isn't amused rather contented on what she said.

When Alona realized that she's been staring at his cold eyes for quiet some time now, she decided to break the stare. She felt as if he can see through her eyes. He can see her.

And she doesn't want anybody to see her.

"Tell me your favorite flower." It wasn't a question but an order. An order that Alona doesn't seem to have the strength to not do.