XCVIII: Xena's Trial Part I

Mirkwood, 3019 TA, June 1st

The order was set and accepted; Xena was handcuffed by the Guards and taken to the Court in the main halls where the meeting was taking place. Surprisingly how the king had already organized the defence system, the legal system, and even his Halls. Entire generations had lived during an era of wars. His generation grew up in a chaotic Mirkwood, in a complete mess.

Now finally, the actions that divided Mirkwood had faded into legend. The last of the enemies that tried to bring Mirkwood to his doom was gone and Xena was brought today to face the law and answer for her crimes. The court rose stronger in this new era, old and new alliances being formed, and all having a say in this trial.

Any ceremony didn't yet honour the great heroes and those who had fallen, but the Elvenking had already set a date after the trial. The court was slowly filled with the majority of the observers, most of them among the enormous numbers of citizens who had served from the wrath of the dark lord; they travelled to witness the trial. The Council represented Mirkwood, Erborn and Dale. Thranduil had allowed it believing that it would bring more favours in the name of Xena.

The jury consisted of eight individuals familiar with the Common Law and Judge-made Law, and they would judge the case, and their decision counted as one vote. The majority of the votes were given to a few of the councils. They were given the authority to attend trials that were appealed in court, and the Elvenking was the highest in the hierarchy. That meant that Thranduil would have the convict's final vote, and he would have the authority to cast two votes.

Xena was allowed to clean up and wore her armour, Thranduil believed it would make her feel better inside the leather armour as it was part of her skin. Arwen remained by her side aiding her to get dressed, and whispering her words of hope. The twins could not accept what was happening to their younger sister. And had caused already two times a scene and were dragged outside the court.

The guards led her through the mesmerizing and wooden corridors built with a hard metamorphic form of limestone, typically white with mottlings or streaks of colour, that was polished and designed in modern and retro architecture. The chamber was newly built; Xena could still smell the combination of the entire mixture of wood and stone "evaporating" from new flooring, wood, and other building materials.

'Her trial would be the opening of the newly built Court.' she laughed at the irony, but it somehow boosted her ego. By entering the courtroom, Xena noted that it was enormous. In front of her were three levels of seats. At the lowest level was set the Council, with Tauriel, Brad II and Glóin sitting on the right. Above them, a few of the high counsellors elected to be part of the trial, and above them was a central seat, where the Elvenking sat. The jury occupied eight seats; west were their seats, a desk, covered folders, paperwork, and documents. There the prosecutors would sit.

In a square desk, Southeast was Xena seated, cuffed against the desk that was in front of her. Next to him were supposed to establish his attorneys, but Xena never asked for anyone. She had fought with Aragorn and Gimli about the matter many times. But her answer was always negative. She firmly believed she didn't need an attorney since she would not oppose the charges delivered to her.

In the middle of the court was assigned around footing for the witnesses to take a stand. And South behind the court structure seats for the public. The seats were already filled; in the first row, Xena watched as her family and friends sat there. The rest were new faces, angry faces; she was sure most of them had crossed paths with Amethyst and were there to see Xena pay for killing her.

Xena and Elrond exchanged a few gazes, though none spoke. They already had talked about the trial so many times. Elrond's emotions were overwhelming, asking Xena to fight against her charges. She hated that she was the cause of that, but this was her trial now. She would see it through, whatever the consequences. She asked for her father one more time to remain calm and be next to her before the trial started.