XXXV: The Pass of Caradhras

Caradhras, 3019 TA, January 11, 12

The Company moved off again quickly, but their path soon turned steep and arduous. The winding and ascending route was almost obstructed by falling stones in numerous areas. The pathway threaded through the mountains. To hike here was to weave themselves into nature, to become part of the cold of the place. Under heavy clouds, the night turned gloomy. A sour breeze blew amid the crags They reached the big mountains' knees around midnight. There was a steep ravine on the right, and a gulf of darkness on the left, where the ground abruptly plunged into a deep ravine.

They veered half east now and aimed their path towards Caradhras, which gleamed slightly crimson in the moonlight from afar. The air was once brisker; the wind was already reversing direction. Caradhras loomed large in front of them, a massive mountain crowned with snow. As a result, white snowflakes danced down their faces, leaving them with a chilling feeling on theirs.

They went on. But before long the snow was falling fast, filling all the air. The dark bent shapes of Gandalf and Aragorn only a pace or two ahead could hardly be seen. Gandalf halted. Snow was thick on his hood and shoulders; it was already ankle-deep about his boots.

"This is what I feared," the grey wizard said. "What do you say now, Aragorn?"

"That I feared it too," Aragorn answered, "but less than other things."

"The snow seldom falls heavily so far south," Xena observed ahead of them as the snow was getting stronger and heavier.

"I wonder if this is a contrivance of the Enemy," said Boromir. "They say in my land that he can govern the storms in the Mountains of Shadow that stand upon the borders of Mordor. He has strange powers and many allies."

"His arm has grown long indeed," said Gimli, "if he can draw snow down from the North."

"His arm has grown long," agreed Gandalf.

While they were stopped, the wind dropped down and the snow slowed to a near-halt. They continued trampling. However, they had not travelled more than a furlong when the storm reappeared with renewed ferocity. The wind whistled and the snow became a blinding blizzard. Soon even Boromir found it hard to keep going. The Company halted suddenly as if they had come to an agreement without any words being spoken. They heard eerie noises in the darkness around them.

"Winter deepens behind us. The heights away north are whiter than they were." Gandalf said as he snuffed the air. No one had talked for a long time. Perhaps it was a wind trick in the fissures and valleys of the granite wall, but the noises were those of piercing shouts and wild yells of laughter.

"We must go on," said Aragorn. "And it is no good our delaying the passage of the mountains. It's wise to cross it as fast as we can, my friend."

Stones began to fall from the mountainside, whistling over their heads, or crashing on the path beside them. Every now and again they heard a dull rumble, as a great boulder rolled down from hidden heights above. Frodo lost his balance while attempting to maintain his balance in the face of the ferocious storms. "Uh!" Frodo sighed and attempted to rise slowly.

"Frodo!" The ranger summoned him and escorted him to his feet. Frodo recovered his balance and immediately reached for his neck in search of the Ring. Detecting its absence. He cocked his head and returned his gaze up the hill. The Ring glimmered as it fell in the snow. Xena's eyes were drawn to the Ring, and she sensed its pull. It was as though the Ring immediately recognised her. Boromir then noted and took up the Ring by its chain.