LXXXIII: A Father's Love Part II

Caras Galadhon, 3019 TA, April 15th

The golden hardwood ceiling initially appeared as a blur, after which the eyes focussed and consciousness followed. It was the first time he was awakened by a loud voice, and he eventually understood that his father and Xena were shouting. The elf inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly, seeing that both were so engrossed in their debate that neither noticed that Legolas was awakening. Xena would fight anybody and anything if she had to, so he should not be surprised.

When he concentrated on their talk and remembered what had transpired, a smirk disappeared from his face. Even with the quantity of blood he had lost, the influx of blood into his veins was enough to stimulate his adrenaline. He realised that he was not yet cured and that they had arrived in Lothlórien. As they travelled to Lórien, his half-consciousness assisted him in retaining such knowledge.

He let himself lean back against the healing bed and shut his eyes once again, deciding to relax for a bit before trying to sit up. And despite his efforts to eavesdrop, his father and Xena were bickering. He was still dizzy due to a persistent ailment and complete disorientation. And all of this resulted not from his illness, but from his realisation that his father was in fact in Lothlórien.

He recognised it as the Elvenking. His father had travelled as far as Lothlórien on horseback from his hall. Never before had he seen his father undertake such a voyage after the loss of his mother. There must be a significant explanation for his father's visit. One explanation is that he was told about Legolas and rushed to his son's rescue out of concern. However, his wounds occurred days ago, and it would take a considerable amount of time for the Elvenking to be notified and to organise travel on such short notice.

Legolas attentively listened to what was stated. How concerned Thranduil was, and how much Xena supported him without being snarky or spiteful. However, throughout the course of their conversation, Legolas discovered that his father had really concealed the fact of how and why his mother had died. He was aware that Uagz was responsible for the death of his mother. What more was his father attempting to hide?

Their once-excellent relationship was now on the brink of irreparable dissolution. Why was his father so discreet over the loss of his mother? He could see how hard it was for Thranduil, but concealing the truth from Legolas would not alter anything. Finally opening his eyes, Legolas turned toward his father's side. Xena had already stormed out of the healing wards, leaving him to finally take the position he had always avoided for the sake of his father.

Legolas grimaced and put his palm against his head, knowing that the next conflict would be unpleasant and lead to a fight. Legolas' father would undoubtedly refuse to tell the truth once again, but this time Legolas had evidence to offer to him. He could no longer avoid Legolas. Legolas exhaled loudly, his free hand clutching his injured side as he struggled to sit up.

The lengthy conversation with the human-made Thranduil to not pay attention to his son, and it was only when he gasped that all of his focus shifted to his own child. He was pleased with Legolas. At first, he could not move as he saw his son. All of his earlier memories from the days he had returned to his halls returned, and he was left with nothing but emptiness. This anguish would never leave him, and he would never again let his son to be in such a situation.

The forest was quiet. The Elvenking observed as his son fought to sit up while holding his breath. His eyes analysed Legolas' motions and determined that he was mending. When he realised his son was staring at him, though, the gloom seeped back into his world. He was aware of the reason he was attempting to sit up and face his father.

Thranduil wiped his eyes and pulled in a harsh breath, preparing to face whatever his son had in store for him. He would respond to every inquiry with as many responses as possible, answers that did not help him recall. The Queen was dead; he could do nothing more. But Legolas was still alive, and he would battle to protect him from the truth that would lead to his demise.