XXXVII: The Darkness of Moria

Moria, 3019 TA, January 13 -15

The hours passed as the fellowship made its last complete march through the mines. One more full day, followed by a few hours of relaxation, and they would be out with just hours of trekking remaining. Too many hundred steps they counted, broad and shallow; and at the top, they found an arched passage with a level floor leading the farther into the dark.

"How long until we reach the other side, Gandalf?" Frodo asked the wizard. While everyone desired to complete the journey as fast as possible, they were willing, despite their exhaustion, to continue walking for many hours, as they already had.

Gandalf was once again in the lead. He clutched his glittering staff in his left hand, the light of which revealed the earth under his feet; in his right hand, he grasped his blade. "It's a four-day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed," he responded.

Gimli approached him from behind, his eyes glinting in the faint light as he swivelled his head side to side. He was still grieving the loss of his kin. He couldn't deny his interest in the mines, though.

"The wealth of Moria was not in gold or jewels, but Mithril." Gandalf tilted his staff down towards a pit.

Merry seemed confused "Mithril?"

"Mithril is a precious silvery metal, which is mined by the Dwarves in the deep mines of Khazad-dûm. It's very lightweight but capable of providing extreme strength." Gimli explained proudly, as he was talking about his kin.

Behind Sam went Legolas and after him Xena, the young hobbits, and Boromir. In the dark at the rear, grim and silent, walked Aragorn. Xena would pause from time to time and let the Elf advance. The Elf, who walked in front of her, was more dazzling than before.

After a few twists and turns, the route started to fall. It continued to fall gradually for a lengthy period of time before returning to normal. The fellowship spent hours going through the thoughts. As they followed Gandalf, the air altered somewhat, becoming colder and heavier. Few seemed to be troubled by the gloom. Though Gimli and Legolas had no such reservations. Gimli had no idea how extensive and complicated the mines of Moria were. Xena was unconcerned about the darkness, although she was unable to see properly. At the very least, the dazzle Elf served a purpose by giving some illumination.

It was after nightfall when they had entered deeper into the mines. They had been going for several hours with only brief halts when Gandalf came to his first serious check. Before him, stood a wide dark arch opening into three passages. "I have no memory of this place at all!" said Gandalf, standing uncertainly under the arch.

Seemed that all three paths led in the same general direction, eastwards. Though the left-hand passage plunged down, while the right-hand climbed up, and the middle way seemed to run on, smooth and level but very narrow. The wizard was confused. "I am too weary to decide. And I expect that you are all as weary as I am, or wearier. We had better halt here for what is left of the night." he offered. And honestly, everyone liked the idea. They were walking for too long. They needed some rest.

Merry and Pippin didn't wait at all, they went over a stone door and found shelter. They sat there, searching their backpack for food. Gandalf placed his stick in the centre, giving some extra light for everyone. He sat close to the paths, trying to remember which one was the correct one to take.

Aragorn sat beside Boromir. He gazed up to Boromir saying "Hmm. He'll remember the way soon."

"I'm not sure anymore. We should never pass through, Moria, but we did anyway. We should never take a woman with us, but we did that too. And now we are lost, but we don't admit it." Boromir whined.