It's A Trap

Chapter 21
It's A Trap

Warning: smoking (I do not promote smoking, it is bad for your health and I do not recommend it to anyone.)

A shadow formed in the light created by the torches from the previous room. The sound of the feminine voice echoed in the room from behind.

Levi and I spun around and jumped backward a few steps. Finally taking a look to whom surprised us.

A semi-tall figure was illuminated by the lights. An average height woman with pale blonde hair that was tied back with some shorter strands framing the side of her forehead. Stood in the doorway. She held a gun in her right hand that was limp at her hip.

"How nice to finally meet you." She spoke with a mischievous glint in her blue eyes. 

I pulled out my knife and kept my eyes trained on her figure in the doorframe. Levi too, pulled out his blade.

"Oh I wouldn't do that if I were you." The woman spoke mockingly.

She moved aside and pulled a struggling man with his arms behind his back to beside her, she held his cuffed hands with her left arm firmly as he squirmed.

Brown hair, brown eyes, and freckles.

White lab coat.

I tried to refrain from making a concerned look that would give away that that was indeed James that was being held hostage.

The woman spoke again as she lowered the gun to point at James. "You see, we found this traitor sneaking about the lab from the outside, we didn't receive any information on a scientist visiting us today. And he is suspected of treason on many accounts thus far." She gave a inquiring stare.

I looked to James who had a worried look a painted over his pale face.

I scanned the area, a sense of despair washed over me as I realized that there was no way out of this situation. We were trapped. The defected that were being held captive in the room began to screech violently as the number of people in the room grew. Their arms stretched out of their cells and tried to grasp us, as we were just out of their reach.

"We were waiting for you three to arrive. And here we are, right on time." She said, holding the barrel of the gun to James's rib cage. His breathing hitched when he felt the coldness of the barrel through his lab coat.

"What do you want." My tone was monotone. A sharp glare was sent to the two people blocking our escape. My voice was almost barley audible over the loud groaning of the turned humans that resided here.

The pale blonde shoved James forward as she stepped into the room fully. As she was about to reply, a defected attempted to grab her forearm with its decaying skin, it's blistered fingers were about to reach the fabric of her jacket when a loud bang sounded throughout the cramped room.

The arm that was outstretched only a second ago feel limp to the ground, it's thin arm clattered against the bars of its cell, dangling there lifeless.

A smoking barrel of the pistol the woman held was pointed to the direction of the now dead defected. I caught a glimpse of the bullet wound. A direct hit between the eyes, shattering it's skull and puncturing it's brain. Even though it was dead, an evident gurgling sound emitted from the corpses open jaw.

She brought back the smouldering gun back to press against James's ribs, he hissed in pain when he felt the heat of the metal burn away a hole through his lab coat and his shirt, before singing his skin beneath. She had never taken her eyes away from Levi and I.