37. Easy

Cup to Cup, the snug coffee shop where Leah and I meet every Monday, is mostly empty at almost four in the afternoon

Cup to Cup, the snug coffee shop where Leah and I meet every Monday, is mostly empty at almost four in the afternoon. Two guys are at the bar, and four girls are sitting at a table in the back. The volume of their voices as they gossip over coffee is loud enough for me and probably the two dudes to learn the history of their Tinder fiascos.

I finish replying to my followers' direct messages and send a text to Leah.

Me: Waiting for you. Do you want me to order?

I got a tuna sandwich and latte because I was too hungry to wait, although I've only taken a couple of bites. Leah had a ton of lectures today. She must be famished.

My phone vibrates with a reply.

Leah: No. On my way.

A few minutes later, she enters Cup to Cup and glances around.

I wave at her. "Leah! Here!"

"Hey," she says, dropping her purse onto the vacant chair. I study her as she shrugs off her coat. Her cheeks are pink, probably from the cold, but the dark shadows under her eyes she's been sporting for a while are there, and worry settles in my stomach. She's an overachiever. So am I, and I wouldn't lecture her, but what if she's pushing herself too hard?

"How are you? What did the professor say?" I ask.

She sits and snatches the menu from the table. "Not much. She said she'd teach me stuff once we start working."

"I like her. Did you see her shoes? She wears a new pair almost daily."

"Of course, you'd notice." Leah giggles.

"It's not my fault the outfits of the rest of our professors are so boring. That woman's like a breath of fresh air." Not only because of professor Lee's excellent taste in clothes but also because her lectures are never dull.

"She really is," Leah says.

When she glances at my sandwich, I lift the corner of the menu. "Do you know what you want? My sandwich is delicious. Want a bite?"

She shrugs. "Okay."

I bring it to Leah's face. Her mouth parts, and she clamps a hand over it, jumping off the chair. Leah dashes to the back of the coffee shop and disappears into the bathroom.

I shove my phone into the pocket of my jeans and rush after her.

Once I'm next to the bathroom door, I hesitate. Would I be invading her privacy? Maybe, but the way she sprinted to the toilet is more than enough to be concerned.

I knock on the door. "Leah."

She opens it, looking paler than before.

I step inside and shut the door. "Holy shit, are you okay? You ran away, and I got scared."