14. Don't Go

After Leah and I leave the frat house and get into a cab, tiredness hits me

After Leah and I leave the frat house and get into a cab, tiredness hits me. I doze off, and she wakes me, squeezing my arm when the car stops outside our apartment building. 

"Did you like the party?" Leah asks me in the elevator.

"It was okay." I shrug. Okay, but not good. I would've enjoyed spending time at the group home way more than being on the receiving end of Elena's glares. Bast was acting weird, too, almost as if he was pissed at me. Why did I even think I'd figure him out? 

As soon as we're on our floor, I rummage in my purse and fish out my keys.

Leah beats me to it and unlocks our apartment door. "Are you too tired?" she asks as soon as we take off our shoes.

"A bit. Why?"

"I wanted to talk to you about something."

I'm probably too exhausted because I can't think of anything that can't wait until tomorrow. 

"Let's sit," I tell her.

The cat tail sewn onto Leah's black dress sways as she walks to the couch. She plops down on it and yanks off the pair of feline ears perched on top of her head.

I sink into the soft cushions by her side but sit upright fast because the temptation to fall asleep right here is too strong. "What's going on?" I ask, studying my roommate's flushed face.

"It's about my getaway with Brian."

Leah's boyfriend took her to his cabin on the beach this weekend. Does she need the morning after pill and doesn't know where to get one? Hopefully, it's something else because it's too late for that now.

My mouth opens, but Leah speaks first. "Brian bought an apartment. And I swear I knew nothing until this weekend. I still can't believe he asked me to move in with him."

My stomach drops. I swallow, directing my gaze to the fluffy rug on the living room floor. "So, you're moving out?"

Leah nods. "Yeah, but I feel awful. I don't want to let you down."

"He's your boyfriend. It's like taking a massive step in your relationship. I'm happy for you."

Leah covers her face with her palms and groans, slumping against the back of the couch. "You're too good to be true. But I still feel guilty, and so does Brian because Bast doesn't have enough money to pay for the apartment on his own, and it's too late to look for someone he could share it with."

A twinge of pity tugs at my insides. I shiver and pinch the skin on my forearm so hard I might have a bruise there later.

It's not my business. That he doesn't have enough isn't my problem. I shouldn't care about him at all.

"Brian thinks you two would make good roommates."

I whip my head around and stare at Leah. "What?"

"That was my reaction too," she says. "But then I thought about it, and he's right. Bast is tidy and really quiet. I never know he's there when I stay at Brian's, and their apartment is twice as big as this one."