22. Knowing Somebody

The grin on my face is impossible to disguise

The grin on my face is impossible to disguise. I glance at the photo of the group home kids in the mountains once more and shove the phone in the side pouch of my purse. My followers, Dr. Jennings, and his friends made the trip possible, and although Betty and Mary wanted me to accompany them, I said no because I'd agreed to spend the break with Bast.

Opening the faucet in one of the Humanities Building's bathrooms, I place my hands under the stream of lukewarm water and rub them together, absent-mindedly staring at my reflection in the mirror. I kept my makeup to a minimum and chose comfortable clothes. Even though the drive to Bast's town is short, he wants to show me the woods, and I'd rather not worry about having to change into something hike-friendly as soon as we get there.

I reach for the paper towel but stop when the bathroom door creaks open, and Elena strolls in. Knowing her history of bathroom spying, I wouldn't be surprised if she knew I was here.

"Hello Elena," I say.

She walks past me and stands by the other sink, rummaging in her purse.

I dry my hands. That she doesn't greet me isn't surprising. She saw Bast and me together lots of times over the last weeks, and her scowl told us how she felt about it.

Tossing the paper in the trash, I grip the door handle. "Bye, Elena. Have a nice break."

"You can stop pretending." Anger tints Elena's voice, and I refrain from rolling my eyes as I face her, gripping the strap of my purse so it wouldn't slide down my arm.

"Pretending what? I'm trying to be civil. Fights with other women aren't my thing. I'm not your enemy. I live my life, and you should do the same."

"So, you and Sebastian are friends. How cute."

I smile. "I know, right?"

She shoots me a narrow look, but a smirk slides onto her lips in a heartbeat. "And, of course, you think you know him. I didn't expect you to be so naïve."

"What are you implying?"

Elena toys with a chapstick, probably to hide her nerves or think of a way to word the lie she's about to feed me. "If you're really his friend, I guess you know his little secret. Did he tell you about his job?"

I know Bast does stuff at night. He locked himself in his room enough times for me to be sure it wasn't a coincidence, but I wouldn't pry. Curiosity is one thing, but being nosy enough to invade someone's privacy is another.

"You have no idea. I knew it." Elena must've mistaken my silence for an invitation to continue.

I take a slow step forward and then another one until I'm so close to Elena my sneakers brush against hers. "If I ask him nicely," I whisper, inching forward. "Do you think he'll give me some?"

She swallows. "Give you what?"

I lower my voice even more. "Drugs. That's what you've been trying to tell me, right?"