7. The Offer

Barbie has been avoiding me for three days

Barbie has been avoiding me for three days. Ever since she stormed out of the library after blurting out some nonsense about Elena talking to Dr.Garcia, she's gone out of her way to not cross paths with me. 

That's what I wanted before we became partners, but her refusal to schedule another study session will impact my grade. Our assignment is due in a couple of days. There's no way in hell I'll have enough time to complete it on my own — not with my packed schedule and a ton of other commitments. I need her to do her part.

As soon as I slump into a seat, my knee bounces, and my gaze skitters around the auditorium. One by one, students file into the room and occupy their chairs, but none of them wear the obnoxious heels that click so loudly they draw the attention of every person in the vicinity.

Dr. Garcia takes up his place behind the lectern, and the lecture begins.

I keep glancing at the door, but nothing changes. Barbie missed the class, and I spend the rest of it planning my next move instead of listening to the professor.

When Dr. Garcia dismisses us, I wait for everyone to leave and approach the podium.

"Dr. Garcia," I say, clearing my throat.

He takes off his glasses and puts them in the front pocket of his shirt. "What happened this time?"

This time?

Before I say my next words, he grabs some papers and taps his index finger on the page on top. "Miss Van Doren and you make a good team. You completed the task before it was due, and the quality's excellent. So you can tell Miss Atkins her concern was unnecessary. I paired you up with my best student, and it wasn't a mistake."

"I—"

"Don't waste more of my time, Mr. Hutches," Dr. Garcia says, giving me a pointed look.

My shoulders slump, and my cheeks burn. 

"Sure. Thank you," I mumble, turning to leave.

Fuck. Barbie didn't lie. Elena talked to him about me. Why would she meddle? Also, what was that shit about the task Barbie and I presumably completed? I haven't even started doing my part, which means…

Tara did both mine and hers and conveniently missed the lecture. So did Elena, although for a different reason. She said something about an appointment. I'd know what if I actually listened. Or cared.

Someone elbows me in their rush to get to the next class. I realize I zoned out in the middle of the crowded hallway and pivot to leave the Humanities Building. 

I need to put Elena in her place. She has no business talking to professors behind my back. 

The air outside isn't chilly enough to cool me off. Anger fills me, rushing through my bloodstream, infecting every cell like a highly contagious virus.