11. Saying vs Doing

Elena is waiting for me by the entrance of the Humanities Building, and my steps slow as soon as I see her

Shit.

She told me she took me home on Saturday, and it wasn’t much of a surprise, considering she’s the only one who knows where I live apart from the guys. None of my friends could’ve been on the highway that night — there was a party at the frat house they wouldn't miss. 

I made a mistake. I wasn’t careful, and since Elena saved my ass, I gave her a thank-you kiss. I aimed for her cheek, only that she was fast shoving her tongue down my throat. Gratitude made me carry on with it, but now? Now there’s only regret. 

Her random and weird act of kindness wasn’t enough to make me want her, so I halt and hide behind a tree. Ten minutes pass, and the rest of our class spill out of the building and strut to the bus Dr. Garcia said would take us to the woods.

Elena glances around and joins our classmates. I’m the last to get on the bus, and the only vacant seat is next to Barbie.

She’s wearing a parka and has a backpack. A pair of hiking boots is on her feet, and I stifle a laugh because I expected her to show up in high heels and a skirt like the one she wore a few days ago. 

“The prof told us to sit with our partners,” Barbie says. “Don’t get your hopes up.”

“Hello to you too,” I say, sitting. 

The corners of her mouth lift. “So, we’re on greeting terms now?”

“Only because I don’t want a bad grade for being rude to my partner,” I say. “Don't get too excited."

“No worries, Basti. I’d rather spend a day with bugs than you.”

Tara winks and faces away from me, looking at the traffic behind the bus window. I didn’t realize we started moving, but we’ve already left the campus.

As my eyes skitter over the rows of seats, they land on Elena, who looks at Tara with so much hatred I quickly avert my gaze.

What’s her fucking deal? Barbie and I can’t stand each other. Even if we were friends, Elena has no business being…jealous?

Fuck. Of course, that’s what it is. Why the hell did I kiss her? A thank you and coffee would’ve been enough.

“Bast.”

Tara’s fingers wrap around my wrist, and I jolt at the contact. She removes her hand and points toward the front of the bus, where Dr. Garcia is explaining our assignment. 

“Thanks,” I mumble.

She shrugs and makes sure not to talk to me for the rest of the drive.

♡♡♡

The woods we end up in look like something straight out of a tourism commercial thanks to the multi-coloured foliage.

Burnt umber, cadmium red, and yellow ochre are only a few of the colors my eyes discern. Too bad the sky is dark — the landscape would’ve been even more spectacular otherwise.