Death

Asari's legs burned as she ran as fast as she could through the woods. Branches whipped her body and face, leaving little bloody scratch marks in their wake. Normally, she'd have no issue navigating the area but as her mind raced and her body ached, her only focus was to find Maxilar and make sure he was okay.

Thoughts of him bleeding out or already dead crossed her mind. She tried to force out the bad images but fear would not let any good thoughts in. She couldn't lose her best friend.

Not only was Maxilar hurt, but so was the rest of the pack. Fury at her Mama and Liviana just about made her scream into the icy wind. How could they not care for those that have helped us so much?! How could Liviana leave Maxilar to fend for himself after he saved her life? Why would the animals continue helping our village after this spectacle, after seeing how little the elven clan cares for their well-being?

These questions were not going to be left unanswered. After Asari found Max, she would make sure the pack was okay and set off to set things straight with her Mama. Even if it meant a fight. Even if it meant banishment.

Soon the surroundings began to look familiar from the day before. The long yellowed grass and twigs covered in snow still had bits of pink spotting. She found where her and Max had first entered the brush, and then moved forward to where they had cleared out. Her arm felt weirdly warm as she moved against more of the thorned bushes. The bandage covering the gash in her muscle reddened, the thorns having irritated and opened it back up.

"Great." She thought to herself. "Just what I needed. This better not attract any bears or more wolves."

If she encountered anything today, she had no doubt in her mind that she would die. It was a risk she was willing to make for Maxilar though, you don't give up on best mates.

As she reached the tree where Asari had gotten to Liviana, she couldn't see Maxilar or any sign of him having stayed here after the girls left. Drops and splashes of blood painted the snow covered ground, as if to tell the story of a major battle for anyone who would just come and look.

"Maxilar?"

Asari called for him in the link, but didn't expect any answer. She didn't receive one either. Unfortunately, this meant she would have to do some more traveling and her body hated her for it. Standing from her crouched position, she tracked what she thought was Maxilar's blood trail. At least she hoped it was his, it would be unfortunate for her to trail another wolf and end up his dinner. Speaking of the other wolves, the lifeless body of the wolf Max had killed still laid where he had left it. Her heart felt a twinge of pain. They only fought to survive, she had to do something to end the suffering. She had to end the winter.

The trail seemingly lead back to the den, her rushed and jagged movements leaving a very noticeable trail in her wake.

Finally the wood surrounding the den came into view, the trees more and more familiar as she stumbled through. A light grey wolf trailed on her right, a darker one on her left. She knew they knew her and had no fear of being in danger. She thought of speaking with them, but decided against it.

"Maxilar!"

Asari continued her push towards the den, Maxilar still not having responded to her. If he wasn't here then where was he? Duran stepped out of the cave opening and blinked up at Asari. She wanted to push past him and go to Max, but knew the disrespect would rift their relationship to its end.

"Duran. I'm so glad to see you well. Is Maxilar in there? I need to know he's okay."

The look he shared between himself and the other wolves gave no confidence. Her palms began to sweat and her heart raced. What wasn't he saying? Why wasn't he saying anything at all?

Finally, his somber voice spoke, "Asari... Maxilar made it to the den but..."

"But? But what Duran?"

"He's dead."

The Lunation Trilogy: Winters EndOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara