Loss

"He's dead."

A blaring ringing in her ears dropped Asari to her knees. Her facial expression was caught between horror and emptiness, eyebrows scrunched and eyes threatening to spill over in front of the entire pack.

Her soul ached, reaching out as if to feel Maxilar's. Asari lifted her head to face the sky and let the deepest howl she could muster out into the wind. Tears escaped her eyes as she mourned for him, her throat going raw as her crying howl echoed. As she was finally quieting, the rest of the pack one by one began to howl joining in her sorrow.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Duran. Maxilar was an amazing companion and I wish there was more I could have done for him."

Duran shook his head and body then nuzzled her. She could almost feel the pain and sorrow he felt coming off of him in waves. She almost reached out with her mind to explore it more but decided to let him have his pain as she had hers. Asari knew Maxilar wasn't the only one lost that night.

"We lost many to the Ice Ridge pack. We will no longer we able to fend them off the land and your people will be in danger. I will not let more of them die to protect your people, Asari."

"I understand. There should have been more done for you and the pack. I am deeply ashamed and cannot express my gratitude and shame enough."

Duran stepped away from her and spoke to the entire pack. Asari sat still on her knees facing the empty den as his deep voice spoke out over their linked minds. She hung her head, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Asari wiped the tears away from her puffy eyes and ran them down her body, shaking the snow off of her body and making sure her arm was alright. The breading had stopped but just barely. Any more irritation and it would open again.

The small leather pouch still hung from her belt, the blueberries hidden inside like gold. The memory of her and Maxilar finding her power together popped into her head and she couldn't help but let a small smile show. She knew what she had to do, she wouldn't let his death be in vein. She would stop this winter even if it killed her, she would bring back life to her home.

"As you all know, Ice Ridge pack has come out of their territory and have claimed this land as theirs. We have a short time to move on or join them.."

Duran paused, waiting for the rustling of the wolves surrounding him to lessen before he spoke up again.

"I will not hold you leaving against you. This is for survival."

Murmurs of where the pack would leave to passed around through the link, she could feel how uneasy they all felt but she also knew one thing: they wouldn't turn away from Duran.

Throughout the years of her knowing him he was always kind but stern. Unlike other alphas, he let everyone eat before he did, making sure they would survive him if something were to happen. She wouldn't let him give up after fighting so hard for so many years. Leather pouch in hand, she steeled her nerves and stood.

"I- I have something to show the pack. Duran, if I may?"

Asari waited for his nod of approval before she moved to stand beside him. She slowly untied the sack from her belt and opened it to gently pour out a singular blueberry. It was on the smaller side and slightly bruised, but it was clear as day what it was and her brain exploded with questions as the wolves gazed at the berry in her gloved hand.

"Asari? Please explain, I'm sure you can tell we are all very curious."

She smirked at his comment and nodded. She poured a few more out, these being bigger and juicier looking. A few wolves stepped to get a closer look and rewarded them by throwing them the berries that laid in her hand.

"I stumbled upon a new... power? Ability? Maxilar was there with me, we were coming back to tell you just before the pack was attacked."

The questions didn't lessen and soon her own thoughts felt lost in the connection. Asari pulled away from the link to steady herself. She knew they were excited but she couldn't think straight with them bombarding her. Duran must've said something to quiet them, allowing her to relink and try to explain more.

"I grew the plant these came from just down the valley. Maxilar and I, we stumbled across an old greenhouse protected from the winters harsh weather. Inside, I grew a beautiful moonflower, and next to it, a blueberry bush."

She waited for them to process what she had just told them and began again after they had refocused on her.

"I was scared at first, not wanting the responsibility of fixing the problem for my people. After how they've treated the pack and expected so much...

They are ruled by lazy elders that want you to do all of the work. No more! With this new ability I know we can work together and help the lands, we just have to stop turning on each other."

The link was quiet which made her nervous. She wasn't really one for public speaking, especially one to boost morale. She hoped it was enough.

Duran was the first to break the silence.

"When do we leave for the elven village?"