Attack

The stark white Alpha from the Ice Ridge pack stood blocking the entrance. His teeth were barred, almost as if he was trying to smile. His paw lifted, stepping a bit closer to Asari, pushing her further into the abandoned den.

"I wish I could say the same."

His low growl bounced off the cold and empty walls. He lowered his head, taking another step towards Asari. Her aim stayed at his head, her ears listening for any indication of more wolves.

"Maxilar... I could use some help right about now."

Still nothing. Where could he be!

The wolf raised himself from his stalking stance, then sat.

"You know, you might get an arrow off before I am able to get to your body, but that's all you'll manage."

Still, her aim didn't budge. He viewed her as some useless elf, but she wouldn't go down easy. Him being an alpha complicated things, he was going to be stronger and faster than the wolves she usually sparred with.

"Keep him busy."

She sighed a breathe of relief. Maxilar's voice sending a wave of calm over her. Asari took another step back, increasing the distance between her and the wolf.

"What are you doing on these lands?" She asked.

He huffed then laid down, placing his head between his front paws. She knew he was trying to ease her anxiety, making himself look smaller and less like a threat. She wouldn't fall for his tactics.

"Oh you know... the pack is starving."

It made sense, the pack here was looking skinnier everyday. What didn't make sense though, was the fact that Duran wasn't here defending his territory.

Maxilar peaked his head in through the caves entrance, sounding a warning growl. The white wolf didn't budge from his position, only the slightest of movements from his backside. In an instant he was up, launching himself at Asari.

Her arrow released, landing in his shoulder muscle. He yelped but continue to scratch and chomp at her, tearing her pale skin wherever he could. Maxilar tore through his hind leg, pulling his attention off of her and to himself. Without hesitation the white wolf snapped at Max's muzzle. Blood leaked onto the cave floor.

It was a grey and white blur. Asari knocked another arrow but feared it would hit Max, so she stayed at the ready.

"Please! Duran! Where are you!"

The bites in her arm were deep, she could feel the blood loss from the deep scratches in her stomach. She thought of Liviana, hopefully she was secured high up in a tree. Perhaps she had left before they had gotten here. Thinking of her being attacked by another member of this pack scared her. Her heart raced, pushing more blood through her body, just for it to fall out onto the cave floor.

Another growl sounded, sending shivers over her and the two fighting.

"What are you doing on my lands, Sans?!"

Duran's authoritive voice sent shivers over her body. Her left hand held her stomach, her right hand grasped at the wall almost dropping her bow. Duran charged Sans, his teeth sank deep into Sans' back, red coating the pure white fur.

Her mind raced. How am I going to get out of here? Maxilar appeared next to her, shoving her thigh with his head. She pulled herself up as gently as she could, gently putting her bow back over her head. The outside scene was a shock. Wolves from both packs attacking each other, once pure white snow turned red and brown beneath the fray.

Maxilar snuck through the chaos as fast as he could back to where Ashe had left Liviana. Asari felt weak, her grip on his fur was too loose.

"Liviana!"

Asari called for her sister once they got back to the tree she left her at. She couldn't bring herself to leave his back so she stayed, calling and letting him take the lead. An owl hooted at her from a tree.

"Max, follow that owl. It'll lead us to her if she hasn't gone home."

As if hearing her words, the owl fluttered up and flew up into the sky. It moved to the right, flying just underneath the tree tops. Maxilar followed as fast as he could without jostling Asari too much which she was thankful for. Every leap made her feel like her guts were going to fall out.

The trees started thinning out, opening to a field of tall grass. Across the field, Asari spotted a small movement in the tallest tree. Maxilar moved towards it, crossing the field carefully. He stopped in his tracks in the middle, sinking low to the ground. Asari followed his lead and laid forward to minimize her presence.

"I can smell another wolf nearby. Of the Ice Ridge Pack."

"Either it followed us, or it was after Liviana. Either way, we have to do something."

"You are in no position to fight and you know that."