MIA

The trip to the wolf den was long. Asari was always welcomed to the area, but as of late it felt like the invitation was a bit more strained. With how much she's had come to be the middle elf between her Mama and the pack, it hurt the trust she had built with them since she was a child.

There was another pack on the other side of the ridge, but she had never linked with them but once. The voice that had spoken with her was slimy and grumbly, she wished to never have to again.

They had called themselves the Ice Ridge Pack, their coats ranged from white to a light grey. Typically they stuck to themselves, but, Duran had mentioned having run into them last time they had gone out for a hunt.

"They must be off on a hunt."

Maxilar's voice jolted her from her thoughts. Listening in to their surroundings as he paused, she agreed. The area was too quiet. Either they were off hunting in another area, or something was up.

"Shouldn't the omegas be watching the den? We should check it out."

Asari slid off his side onto the cold snow, it crunching beneath her boots. With Maxilar on her left, they separated, listening in on the area. Out of the corner of her eye, a stark white owl sat in a tree watching the two scout the woods.

"We have eyes on us."

"Focus on the sounds and forget the bird."

Huffing at his comment, she refocused. Her long bow hung on her back next to her quiver. She quickly pulled it off her back, drawing the bowstring to the top of the stave.

A branch snapped to the right of her. Asari pulled an arrow from her quiver, knocking it to the bow string and pulling back. Her body kept moving, but her aim stayed true as she moved and tried to focus in on the sound.

"Asari?"

Liviana's voice called out to her. Asari moved slightly and released the arrow, watching as it landed centimeters away from the snow owl's face, sinking into the tree bark. It hooted angrily at her and flew off. She chuckled, then grew serious as she looked towards her sister.

"Liv? What are you doing out this far?"

She got up from her crouched position, standing alone in the woods as Maxilar still checked for any more signs of life. She made sure her ears stayed alert while she waited for her sisters excuse.

"Mama sent me to bring you back home. She wants you at the next meeting."

Asari grew irritated, "She sends me off to speak with the pack and just as I'm about to do as I'm told, now I'm being brought back to sit in a meeting where the elders just sit there and expect me to... what?"

She kicked her leather boot into the ground, digging up nothing but snow and rock.

"I don't know why she wants you there, Asari. Just like you, I'm doing as I'm told."

Liviana's words hurt a little. She knew her sister was just obeying Mama, avoiding a fight wherever possible. She just wished it didn't affect her life too.

"I know... just let me help Maxilar finished the scout and I'll race you back. Okay? Stay here."

Asari waited a second to make sure Liv listened before she leapt into the tree to her left. She knocked a new arrow to the bowstring and waited for any more sound. Squirrels danced in the trees just ahead of her and birds sang behind her.

"Max, have you found anything?"

He didn't reply. Heart pulsing, she pounced from tree to tree. She slung her bow back around her chest and back and allowed her long legs and arms to whip her through the air. Asari landed to the ground in front of the den, bow back in her hands, her bowstring pulled back and ready to fire.

The cave was empty it seemed, usually a pair of wolves waited at home with the pups while the others went out hunting. It was odd that not only were they gone, but there was no trace to where they were.

Old cracked bones littered the ground as she pushed further into the damp cave. The hair stood at the back of her neck, she wiped around as a skinny voice entered her mind, making her shudder.

"Hello there, so good to smell you again."