PART 33

"I am sorry to bother you both. I noticed something and I can't keep quiet because it's not proper according to our culture and I am sure it's not even biblical because the man is expected to be the head always."

"Mama, I don't understand what you are talking about. Please kindly make us understand." Felix said.

"I noticed your wife has taken the shine off you. My son, I know you to be a powerful evangelist and minister before meeting your wife. How come you are now like an apprentice beside her?" she asked unpleasantly.

That was the last thing I was expecting to hear. My heart was beating so fast. I knew this would trigger some unpleasant issues and reactions. I needed to find a way to salvage the situation before it sinks into Felix's mind.

"Mama, it's not what you think. We both are evangelists, but we still have different responsibilities. My husband receives lots of invites from other churches and he also ministers in our church." I explained cautiously.

"Is that true my son?" she asked.

Felix didn't reply to her immediately. He seemed to be reminiscing on something. I stared at him with anxiety hoping he wouldn't aggravate the issue.

"Something like that Mama. She is my wife, anything she says is the correct thing." He said.

That reply didn't sound assuring enough. I began to lose my peace. I didn't know where this was leading to. Something kept telling me it might not end well.

"My son! Please remember you are the head of this home. Your wife's ministry shouldn't overshadow yours. People will begin to say she is using your glory".

"Ha! Mama!" I cried out.

Felix didn't utter a word. Before I could recover from the shock, she fired another question.

"What is the problem with you both? Won't you give me grand children? Or is your wife barren?"

"I reject it in Jesus' name. Mama, I am not barren. My husband and I agreed not to have a child in the first year of our marriage. We want to dedicate it in building our ministry and business." I fired back respectfully.

"Wonders shall never end! My son is that true?" she asked.

"Yes Mama. We are medically fit. It's just an agreement between my wife and I." he explained.

"Will you keep quiet?! What's wrong with you children of these days? So, it is until I am in my grave before you give me a child, right?" she queried.

"Mama, I have told you to stop saying that. You won't die young. After all, next year is around the corner. Just bear with us. God will grant you long life." Felix said. I was glad Felix was on my side this time around.

"My son, I am not threatening you. Remember you are my only child. Your father won't bother because he has other wives and children, but you are my only child. Please consider that and make me happy."

The atmosphere was tense. The whole discussion ended. Felix's Mum went to her room while Felix laid on the couch. We didn't say anything to each other that moment. I know I had to call Konkonbilo for advice. Unfortunately, his number wasn't going through. I needed to act fast before things begin to go from bad to worse. I called Pastor Jude to ask if he was still in church. I was glad when he told me he was still around.

I lied to Felix I wanted to get something at the supermarket. I had to quickly take a bike and rush straight to the church.

****

"Sister Funke, I hope all is well?" Pastor Jude asked.

"Yes sir. I just wish to have a private discussion with you. Sir, I am sorry if my statement might sound silly. I realized you hardly assign key responsibilities to my husband ever since Bro Johnson came. My husband hasn't gone for any outside ministration ever since. Is there something going on that I am not aware of sir?" I asked.

"Sister Funke, I understand where you are coming from and where you are going to. The truth is, any decision I make when it comes to ministry and this Church, it's based on God's instructions. I am only following his directives. Whenever God tells me to use Brother Felix, I will gladly use him. After all, he is very devoted." Pastor Jude said.

"Okay sir. Thank you, sir." I replied, still not convinced.

I couldn't sleep that night. I stayed awake having diverse thoughts while Felix slept like there was nothing at stake. I wanted to wake him up, but I wasn't too sure of the response I would get from him. Fortunately for me, he woke up to urinate. He was surprised to see me awake.

"Babe why are you still awake by this time of the night?" he asked.

I tried to talk but couldn't stop the tears that flowed freely. Felix walked up to me and hugged me tightly.