PART 32

Felix and I didn't discuss the issue again. I spoke to the church admin and luckily for me they granted my request. I didn't tell Felix about it.

Johnson arrived on a Sunday, and he was introduced to the church. Everyone welcomed him warmly. It was obvious that he was well taken care of wherever he was posted to. Johnson looked so handsome, and his cute smile was so charming.

I didn't realize I was already having such an unholy thought. It's so unlike me.

After the service, Pastor Jude invited Felix and I to his office. The moment we entered Pastor Jude's office, Johnson's eyes met mine. I had to quickly look the other way. I felt the admin couldn't secure a room for him. I hoped in my heart that Pastor Jude didn't ask to see us because he wants Johnson to stay with us.

It was a sweet reunion for Felix and Johnson as they embraced each other for a while.

"I can see you both are happy to see one another. I must confess we received lots of good comments from the head of the school of theology. He said Brother Johnson has been the most outstanding of all the ministers there," Pastor Jude said.

"Sir, I think we need to start calling him Evangelist Johnson because his spiritual level is now very high," Felix teased.

"Ha! Brother Felix! You and your sweet words. I'm still a learner in the business o. We all are looking up to spiritual gurus like you and sister Funke." Johnson said.

"My dear brothers and sister, grace is sufficient for us all. I am glad the three of you are seriously passionate about God's work. The reason I called you both is just to inform you that bro Johnson will be under the guidance of sister Funke. He will be spending two months with us. Sister Funke will work directly with him; she being a seasoned evangelist."

I was totally speechless. The person I felt I have been able to avoid successfully is actually getting closer to me. There was nothing I could do or say. I had to follow pastor Jude's directives. I discussed with Konkonbilo as usual. He advised I shouldn't involve him in my personal affair. He also advised I keep praying to God for directives.

Before Johnson's arrival, it has always been Felix and I handling some key church programs. We also go for outside ministrations. It's been a wonderful journey. I see Felix as the man who can help me fulfil my ministerial ambition. Ever since Johnson arrived, the church didn't assign Felix many responsibilities. In fact, people wanted Johnson and me all the time. I was scared it will be a problem in the long run.

Johnson and I became good friends. I must confess, he is a very matured and amazing guy. He never for once raised any sensitive issue. Everything was going smoothly until Felix's Mum came visiting. I wasn't so cool with it because Felix and I had an agreement never to let any relative stay more than three days with us. Felix's mum said she would be spending a week with us. Felix and I had a slight misunderstanding on that.

"Why will you ask her to come spend a week with us for God's sake?" I queried.

"What do you mean? Don't forget we are talking about my mother here. Is it a crime for her to spend a week with us?" Felix replied.

"Don't twist my words! We both had an agreement never to let any of our relatives spend more than three days with us except there is a very reasonable and important reason. My parents have never spent a day with us before. When they visit, they leave that very day. That's because I made them understand how I want to run my home."

"You expect me to sit my Mum down and tell her she can't spend a week with us because of our principles. You know what babe?" He said.

"What?!" I asked angrily.

"I am sorry. I accept my mistake and I promise it won't repeat itself again. I don't want us to fight over this. Don't let us dwell on this. I can assure you my Mum won't interfere in our affairs and I won't give her more attention than you." Felix said soothingly.

"Are you sure?" I asked soberly.

"Yes my queen. I promise." he assured.

We settled and prepared for the arrival of Felix's mum. Unfortunately, that week, I would be ministering for two days at the Minister's conference. I would not have enough time to attend to his Mum.

Felix's Mum arrived on a Saturday. She was very nice to me. I was glad she commended my cooking skills. She also appreciated me for taking care of her son. I was glad, thinking there would be no problem. I never knew something worse was on the way.

We all went to church the following day which was on a Sunday. Felix was called upon to make announcements while I was given the permission to conduct prayer sessions and some key activities. It wasn't a new thing to us. On getting home that day, after having lunch, Felix's mum said she would love to see the both of us. I felt she just wished to have a chitchat with us.

I didn't know it was a moment for her to plant the seed of sorrow and agony in our marriage.