Chapter 18

I haven't been to parties since last year. The last one I attended was when I was with Charlie, Britney, and Peter.

I can barely remember it, but I can still picture Nate insulting Peter that night and we played truth or dare where I think Olivia was provoked to get out of the house.

I don't know about them, but after a year, this is the first time I would wear party dresses.

And when I said party dresses, I mean a cream crop top almost formed into a bra and a short red skirt, which isn't actually my type. But I have to wear these if I don't want to look like a fool in there. As if I'm an even number on a trail of odds.

I applied a small tint of lipstick to my lips and pressed them together as I saw how pink they were now compared to earlier. I grabbed the mascara from my pouch and applied it to my eyelashes. The brush dipped in a pink blush on solid powder met my cheeks, turning them a little rosier.

"🎵Because I dropped your hand while dancing, left you out there dancing, crestfallen on the landing; champagne problems. Your mom's ringing your pocket, my picture in your wallet, your heart was glass I dropped it; champagne problems. 🎵"

I sang along with the music playing as I placed in my small cream glossy bag all the things I need. My phone, my wallet, a pen, and a piece of napkin just in case. Once more, I walked toward the mirror and looked at myself.

My huge curly hair is behaving right now because I put on a lot of mousse to it. my lips are slightly pink and my cheeks too. I grabbed a pair of silver high heels from my closet and wore them.

These kinds of shoes hurt my toes but I can run with them though. Charlie as a beauty queen taught me a lot about wearing this right.

Like I forgot earlier, I walked to my windows and began closing all of them. I also turned off the lights of my bathroom and the lampshade too leaving the sunlight as the only brightness inside.

"What took you so long?" When I got out of our house and locked the door, I found Kobie beside his car with his hands inserted into his pockets.

"I wasn't that long." I shook my head and he opened the door for me.

It's already so freezing inside means he started this earlier.

He began driving without even saying a word and just went through different curves, roads, and streets. I did nothing but watch the sky that seemed to follow me everywhere I go. Until I felt my phone hardly vibrating inside my bag. So I immediately unzipped it and found Britney's registered name with her picture on the screen. "Hey, what's up?" I greeted after pressing the green button.

"Are you coming tonight?" I'm the one who asked her that earlier now she's asking me as if she doesn't know the answer.

"Yeah,"

"Okay, we'll pick you up."

"No,"

"No? Why?"

"I'm already in Kobie's car." I heard her slightly laughing and the urge to stop it was also obvious.

"Ooh. Too bad it's Eros to be driving us." There goes her teasing voice again. The party hasn't started but she already sounds drunk.

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes.

"Okay girl, see you." I don't know what convinced her to come but whatever it is, thanks to it because I don't have to feel lonely in the party place.

Kobie stopped and gently parked the car between two trees looking like two people separated by us. I've been here to Tristan's house before but I didn't know it's that far from us. Maybe I didn't notice it back then because I used to only pay attention to the road and not to the time.

I got out and walked with him beside me to the house. "Hey bro," Nate ran to him and grabbed his hand for an aggressive handshake. Boys will be boys.

There goes Chance with his arms opened offering a hug. "I knew you would come!"

I ignored them and just mindlessly got up to the house where all the other girl's crop tops were shorter than mine. Mine is already short and theirs are even shorter. It's as if they're already showing their whole body.

The fun they call hasn't started yet. For the first time in forever, Kobie is early for an occasion. Confetti are on the ground, colored tissues were everywhere, disco balls were on the ceiling, and red cups are placed all together on one table with the alcoholic beverages and some snacks.

At least we're not underage anymore for this.

Or if we are, then maybe it would be another night to be chased by the cops. I looked around. I wonder where those two are gone by now. "Hey, enjoy the party." Olivia in a pink short dress came to me and handed me a red cup filled with alcohol as she winked in a very fake tone of voice.

The way she speaks gives me goosebumps. It disgusts me more than how I get disgusted when I see people drinking mixed crap drinks. That is just as terrible as it sounds. I rolled my eyes when she passed by me. I faked a smile earlier and now it's gone.

I looked behind me and found a guy entering wearing familiar white long sleeves and brown pants. His brown wavy hair is very recognizable.

I took five steps to get closer and when I did, I realized who it was.

I wish I just didn't.

It's him.

It's Arthur smiling around as if he belongs here.

Okay?

Umm...

Isn't he a teacher already?

So what is he doing at one student's party like this?

My mood earlier was so hyped up. But now it's ruined.

Déjà vu huh? One party, same encounter. I rolled my eyes again and walked away. There's only one thing left to do. I don't want to get home and hear another set of fights between mom and dad so I need to stay here. I guess I just need to stay away from him so I can avoid chaos.