Chapter 26

Things went well in today's class. And it was a little better than yesterday. Professor Carter's great humor has been showcased greater today. Arthur and I didn't talk except when he told me to recite the five things we should consider in writing an article.

I wanted to not answer him or ignore his existence in the room. But he is my teacher, so I did nothing but talk as if he has never been a part of my past. "Britney! Shane!" I heard a familiar voice from the back, making me turn around. "Hey, what's the rush for, sir?" I asked Carter.

Just as I was thinking of him, he had already gone to us. I hope he didn't read my mind or something. But feels like he did. "Umm, do you guys want to be a part of the school's paper team?" He held his hands on his waist and licked his lips, trying to not make it too obvious.

I looked at her and she did the same, then we both narrowed back at him. "Ah, yeah," I responded.

"Me too," Britney added.

He nodded and then held his eyes to the watch on his wrist. "Okay, that's good. Well, the try-outs are starting in a few minutes. Do you mind coming with me, or following up to the theater room?" I bit my lips and ground my teeth inside.

"You mean right now? Like, literally right now?" Britney fixed the strap of her bag and rose her shoulders.

"Uh-huh," he pressed his lips.

"I'll go to Chance, he's having his practices in the sports yard right now. You guys should go. I'll call you both later when we're all done." Charlie gracefully smiled and began walking away from us after we both nodded.

"Let's go?" Carter awkwardly asked.

He began walking and we followed him through the same stairs, same wooden floors, same people passing us by, and same breeze wrapping us around. We marched until he stopped by in front of the blue double door with the sign Theatre Room on it. And it told us to stop by too.

"Here you go," he opened the door for us and let us walk in then left after closing it. But I ran to him and opened the entrance then called him by his name. "Hey, Professor Carter!" I screamed making him turn around. "Yeah?" He responded.

"Aren't you getting in?" I don't know why I asked him that. Maybe I was confused about why he left us there.

"Nah, Miss Smith just asked me to call you guys and bring you both here. Good luck with that!" He waved and then smiled again as he walked down the stairs. I nodded and found Britney staring at me. "What?"

I rose my shoulders while she grabbed my arm and then wrapped it around hers. "Why did you even ask him that? It was clear as day!" I rolled my eyes and we began walking toward the people gathered around in a circle, sitting on chairs. "For you, but not for me!"

We sat on the last two empty spaces close to each other. I guess they really expected us that they even saved seats for the two of us. We've both been part of the journalism team since we were in seventh grade so we're technically part of the family they have built.

Miss Smith came marching in wearing black flat shoes and a blue suit with a brown polo followed by a white skirt leading to her knees. Like always. We, as the students might have our own uniform but them, the teachers don't. They can wear whatever they want.

Some students insanely hate the dress code of our school but I prefer it rather than running out of ideas on what to wear every single day in class. We go to this campus to learn not to brag about our fashion knowledge. And I don't really get why they hate our uniform. It's gorgeous and fashionable as well.

She marched to the center of the circle and everyone began shutting their mouths. "Good day everyone!" She smiled gratefully and we all clapped our hands. So far, she's the nicest teacher I know. Also the coolest, kindest, best of the bests, and latest. I mean, the one who's always late.

Just right now, she's five minutes late. "I have to make two announcements before we start with this year's edition of the school magazine, monthly paper, and events."

We all looked at each other and let her continue. "First, I want all of you to know that two students are having their last and final year on our team since they are about to graduate sooner." The way she showed us the thick smile drawn by her lips made me feel so welcome and so grateful that she has been our instructor ever since then. Though she's always late, I love her so much as our teacher and even became our friend.

Can you imagine how cool that is?

Your professor becomes your friend.

So far from the feeling, you get when your ex becomes your teacher.

Here I am, thinking about it again.

She looked at me and it made me realize who she's talking about. Us. "This is the last year of Britney and Shane on our team." After that sentence, everyone clapped which deafened our ears. And they began muttering words which sounded like...

"Congratulations to you two!!"

"See you soon!"

"We will miss you!"

"We love you!"

"Thanks for paying your part!!"

Then they silenced when her voice creaked in again. "The second announcement is that I am retiring as this team's instructor."

My jaw fell on the floor and my eyes widened too.

What?

"Ma'am! What?" I whined.

"Yes, but don't worry. You all would have a new instructor." I gulped. No matter who it is, no matter how great she would be, no one can ever replace Miss Smith.

"I guess you're all familiar with Mr. Arthur Culpo,"

Darn, that name! First, my class. Second, the party last night. Now, the journalism team? What is this guy's motive?

Whatever it is, I don't like it already.