First Transformation

Jamie was at a loss for words.

Regulus Black, his dead uncle — or well, who he thought was dead, was now standing before him, his muted grey eyes watching him intensely.

Jamie did not know much about Regulus. Hell, he hardly knew anything about the Black family, despite Narcissa being from said family. She never allowed herself to talk about them, and when she tried she would get all teary eyed.

"The Black's are damned." She would say.

The little he had managed to get from her was the most important. She said Regulus died during a mission on behalf of the dark lord.

He was a deatheater.

"You— you joined Voldemort."

Regulus flinched at the name. He stumbled back a step as if he had been hit in the gut. He tilted his head down, curls falling in front of his face. His eyes were screwed shut as if in pain.

"Do not say his name. . . Please."

His voice turned vulnerable. All anger left Jamie's body at how weak the other man sounded. His instincts were screaming at to reach a hand out to the man and comfort him.

Instead he took a step back.

"Okay. I was told you were a deatheater. Why would you help me?"

"I joined because I had to. My parents. . . They forced me. Sirius left and they felt as if they had failed. They did not want me to become him, so they made me become something I was not. I didn't have a choice joining. But you know what I had a choice in? Leaving."

"How are you even alive?"

"My — our," he corrected himself, "ability."

"What happened?"

Regulus inhaled deeply and shivered. And with a great amount of effort he said, "I will tell you with time. The only thing I want you worrying about right now is getting that gift under control. I do not wish for the dark lord figuring out what you can do."

Jamie went to protest but the man cut him off. "You know the trouble I can be getting myself into? Showing myself like this? The world thinks me dead, and honestly I prefer to keep it that way. But I have to help you. So that you can do what I couldn't. I am here, against better judgement, because it's the right thing."

Jamie nodded slowly. "Why don't we go in and talk with dad about it?"

Regulus shot forward. He moved so quick Jamie didn't have time to move. The man's slender fingers curled around his biceps, his grip deathly tight.

"No one can know."

Jamie tried to pull free, but the other man tightened his grip.

"Why not!" He demanded.

"Because, the less people who know, the better. It can't accidentally slip or be traded in. I. . . It's just not safe for me. I'm paranoid, I will admit. But for a good reason! I have to be dead to the rest of the world."

"But you're his brother."

"No." He said, voice turning dark. "We haven't been brothers since he abandoned the family. Since he abandoned me."

Jamie clicked his tongue. "I understand you are upset. That you are scared. But why don't you come in? Get something to eat and a warm place to sleep? We can talk to dad first thing."

"No." Something in his tone told Jamie that he was not going to be changing his mind anytime soon. "Swear to me that you will not tell anyone."

"I swear." Jamie said. The man eyed him, his grey eyes bore into his hazel ones. He finally let Jamie go and took a couple steps back.