Train Ride Home

The day after Sirius Black's trial was a hot one, the sweltering heat and the end of the exams meant everyone was taking full advantage of another Hogsmeade visit.

Jamie had every intention of going on the trip as well but the second he and Draco walked into the Slytherin common room the air was thick and tense, it was quiet too, as if someone had electrified the air and the next person who spoke would be shocked.

All heads turned to face the duo, some looked afraid while others looked disgusted, some even did not even met their eyes.

Jamie glanced down at Draco to see the other boy already staring at him quizzically. Jamie turned back to the crowd, his face hardening as he glared at the on-lookers.

They all looked away, pretending to ignore the two but Jamie could see them sideglancing at him and Draco as they whispered amongst eachother.

Pansy stood from her spot on one of the many emerald couches. Theodore was right behind her as they made their way over.

Jamie was confused by her strained look until he saw her staring at the white bandages that peeked out from under Draco's sleeve.

"Pans? Theo?" Draco winced out softly. He straightened his posture, face blank. Jamie could tell he was readying himself for the rejection that might follow. But Pansy simply threw her arms over his shoulders, pulling him down into a tight hug. The movement was so quick and unexpected Draco stumbled, almost tripping with Pansy in his arms. Theodore swiftly caught them, joining the hug, he wrapped his arms over the two, pulling them close.

Jamie awkwardly took a step back from the three to give them more room.

Pansy and Theodore pulled away, she sniffed in anger. "Professor Snape told the entire common room what happened with Lupin."

"It wasn't Lupins fault-" Jamie tried to say only for Pansy to shake her head.

"I'm not mad at Lupin. I know he was not in control. I'm mad at Snape for sharing such a private piece of information that is none of his fucking business."

Theodore nodded. "As soon as he said it Gregory and Vincent threw their books at him, cursing him out. Before Snape could do anything they left, yelling something about reporting to Dumbledore."

"Blaise went with them." Pansy said. "You know how tongue tied they get when they are angry. We decided to wait for you two." She waved between her and Theodore. "So we could fill you in."

Draco nodded, as the information sunk in. His face was set into deep concentration.

"He cannot do that." Jamie frowned, getting offended on Draco's behalf.

"Apparently he can." Said Theodore bitterly.

"Okay, well. . ." Jamie trailed off. The other three were eagerly staring at him, waiting to hear what the next step would be. "I doubt Dumbledore would do much. Snape has been terrible to his students for years and he hasn't lifted a finger."

"So what do we do?" Asked Pansy.

"We can't do anything." He said, frowning. "As much as I hate to say it, we are powerless in this situation."

"There has to be something." Theodore tried.

Jamie shook his head. "I don't know why Snape is so important that Dumbledore has to keep him around. . ." His eyes widened. "That's it. We find out why he is so important, then we can work a way around it."

"How are we supposed to do that?" Draco frowned.

"Are you forgetting my dad and Professor Lupin were in the same year as Snape. They must know something."