A Patronus

"Did you know about this?" Hermione demand, holding a single letter in her hand. She looked livid, her eyes filled with unshed tears and lips trembling uncontrollably like she was about to start crying any second. Harry and Ron stood behind her awkwardly.

"Know about what, exactly?" Jamie asked carefully. "Here let me read it."

He took the letter, most of it was covered in large tear teardrops which smudged some of the words.

Dear Hermione,

We lost. I'm allowed to bring him back to Hogwarts.
Execution date to be fixed.
Beaky has enjoyed London.
I won't forget all the help you gave us.
Hagrid

Jamie sighed. "No, I mean, I knew about the hearing but I haven't heard any from Lucius—"

"You have to write him!" Hermione said.

"He won't listen to me." Jamie sighed again, handing the letter back.

Lucius was a proud man. He would never admit he's wrong or that he made a mistake. He went in front of the Committee and argued that Buckbeak was a wild and monstrous beast that should be put down for safety reasons, if he changed his mind he would feel as if he lost.

Lucius does not lose. At least, not willingly.

"You have to at least try! Hagrid is all broken up! Buckbeak is innocent — you know that!"

"Okay." Jamie frowned out an agreement, knowing his words would fall on deaf ears. "I'll write to him."

Hermione threw her arms over his shoulders, dragging him down into a hug. She sniffled. "Thank you, Jamie."

"Of course." He patted her on the back.

Like he expected, his letter did nothing. He was at breakfast when Lucius' response letter came in. The Malfoy's large, handsome eagle landed by Jamie's plate. He was sitting at the Slytherin table, sat next to Gregory and Vincent while Draco was being brainwashed by Marcus Flint not even ten seats away, he tried to get the blond to sit with him, but like his obnoxious father, he did not listen.

"What does it say?" Hermione said anxiously, she came over as soon as she saw the bird enter the Great Hall.

Jamie opened the letter and held it where they both could read it.

Jamie,

Do not waste my precious time with such foolish jokes. That creature is a living menace and deserves what it has coming. My mind is already made up, tell me, is that giant fool drowning himself in a lake of his own tears yet?

L.M.

Hermione got so angry that she ripped the paper out of Jamie's hand and shredded it to pieces. She took a few breaths to try and calm down, her eyes were narrowed and hands clenched.

"He won't get away with this." Hermione promised. "Buckbeak is innocent—"

"Try telling that to Draco's arm." Marcus cut her off sharply. "He had to wear a sling for three months!"

"He was faking!" Hermione argued.

Draco's silver eyes glared at her. "What would you know, Granger. You think you're so smart —"

"She is smart." Jamie cut him off, staring at his cousin who he hardly recognized anymore. "Smartest witch her age, in fact."

Draco turned a blind eye and instead focused on his food. Jamie started to wonder why he was suddenly so obsessed with Marcus, the older boy just has to be up to something.

Jamie was never a big fan of Hagrid. He was an awful teacher. But he was nice. He wasn't a friend to the half giant, but yet, he felt for him during their lesson when Hagrid couldn't even finish a sentence without his lips trembling.