Dead Man Walking

The room's air was thick and heavily perfumed. Smoke had started to build up, creating a circling dark mass above; because of this the three square windows on the far right were opened, only slightly though.

If they had been opened all the way there was a chance a strong gust of wind would sweep in and undo the fires ignited under the many cauldrons.

There could be no room for error. Not when making wolfsbane potion. It was an extremely difficult potion to make due to how precise everything had to be. It had to be perfect, even if it was just smidge off then everything inside the cauldron would be useless.

Jamie and Sirius so far has spent the better of two days in that room. They had a quota to meet for the full moon that was just a day away.

They had to make a hundred and twelve potions. Or well, didn't have to, but took it upon themselves.

Werewolves are seen as outcasts in the wizarding world. They always have been. "Dark magic" they would call it. It was a curse. With no cure. So instead of trying to help, the wizarding community pushed them away. Called them monsters and slaughtered innocents.

Werewolves are now under the classification of beings, instead of beast where they had rested for centuries, but there is a beast subdivision team that handles them. Handles as in hunts them down and kill them on the nights of the full moon.

They did not take into consideration that there was an innocent person behind the fangs and fur. And instead of killing them, they should do what Jamie plans to carry out.

He will deliver each and every werewolf in their little secret villages a vial of the wolfsbane potion. And he will do this every month until he can talk the Ministry into incorporating this into their technique.

Instead of killing them for something they can not control.

In the short time that Jamie has reconnected with Remus, he has seen nothing but good in the man. He never gets angry. He's the man with extra chocolate in his pockets just incase someone might need a piece. He's the man who had his classroom doors open at all times for anyone who needed help. He's the man who never once complained about his financial status. He's the man who wears too big sweaters, who is afraid of the full moon, who puts his entire body into laughing when something genuinely makes him happy, who was always there for him.

Jamie loves Remus, because the man has loved him.

And if someone so. . . Pure, and good as Remus has to suffer for something that he cannot control. . . Well, he was not going to stand for it. He was going to change the way the wizarding world saw werewolves. He was going to make it a safer place, for Draco, so the young boy does not have to suffer as Remus and so many others did.

Remus has been to almost every werewolf village in the UK. Traveling where he could get odd jobs since no one would hire him full time. So his inside knowledge was extremely useful. They are a tightknit community, the werewolves. After all, all they have is each other.

So Remus visited all the old villages (Jamie tagging along for "research purposes") and got an exact number that they would need by the next full moon.

So that's where Jamie is now. His hair tied back into a tight bun, beads of sweat forming on forehead as the room temperature increased. He wiped them away with one hand while the other stirred the potion twice clockwise, paused for a second, then stirring counterclockwise three times. As soon as he finished the third stroke he added in a dash of moon water.

He paused, waiting with baited breath. The black sludgy potion churned before thinning. It now glowed a shimmering silver.

Jamie did not have time to celebrate. He immediately removed the cauldron from the flames to the table towards the back. Remus awaited for him at the table, he waved his wand and all the liquid from the cauldron separated, filling up ten vials. This was Remus's job. He didn't allow himself to help with the potion making, saying how it was never his best subject and he would prefer not to mess anything up.