scrubbing pans with a redhead

Jamie was starting to regret saying anything, scrubbing the bedpans in the hospital wing —by hand— was not a way he wanted to spend his afternoon

     Jamie was starting to regret saying anything, scrubbing the bedpans in the hospital wing —by hand— was not a way he wanted to spend his afternoon. Of course what Snape said infuriated him. Said man was constantly putting kids down, insulting them, berating them, making them feel bad about themselves. He was a bully who abused his position of power, and why? Why did he hate Gryffindor so much? It just did not make sense. For as long as Jamie could remember Snape has hated the House with a passion, but why? Jamie was not sure, and he also wasn't sure on why he defended the two Gryffindors.

When he first met them he could care less about what Malfoy said, but now when he heard Snape say such things and the way Hermione's eyes filled with tears and the way Ron shook with slight fear, it did not sit right in his stomach. If he did not say anything he was sure he would have exploded.

He shouldn't care about them. But the true problem was, that he did.

He cared very much. As if they were friends.

With a huff he blew away an annoying strand of hair that kept falling into his face.

"Here, dear." Madam Pomfrey said marching over, she pulled something from her pocket and tied Jamie's brown hair into a low bun. "I know why you two are in here, Mr. Weasley informed me, I think what you said, how you stood up for that girl, was sweet."

Jamie's ears turned red against his better judgement.

"And how you protected Mr. Weasley, that was very brave, but I must say that you should not threaten a teacher."

"But a teacher can threaten a student?" Jamie frowned.

"Well, no." She sighed then looked off to the side, thinking of how she should word what she was about to say. "You might get expelled talking like that, I'm just saying this now so you won't slip up again. Severus. . . He wasn't always this way, so I'm sure he can turn around. He would never actually lay a hand on his kids."

"Emotional abuse is just as serious as physical abuse. And it should not be taken lightly." He argued, forgetting the cleaning supplies and turning around to face Madam Pomfrey. "And if Dumbledore actually cares for his students the way he says he does, then he would never allow a teacher like Severus to be around students — wait, actually, he just might. I'm sure you remember two years ago, he hired Lord Voldemort—"

Gasps filled the room and Madam Pomfrey shushed him immediately. "We mustn't speak his name aloud. Look around, they're terrified."

He glanced around the room, only three beds were occupied, the furthest bed on the left sat a first year Ravenclaw who was almost in tears at just the mention of the name. Her brother, also Ravenclaw, sat in the next bed over, pale as a ghost. Across from the girl sat a Hufflepuff boy, a third year, he was clutching his pillow to his chest. Jamie rolled his eyes at them.