Chapter 28

Kaito wasn't able to focus. His eyes kept on shifting to Samantha's lips as she muttered her statement to him. What was he supposed to do next? Kill her? Kiss her? The second option didn't seem too bad. Kissing her would catch her off guard, but killing her would cause a bloody mess. He was too exhausted to do any clean-up. 

His time to react was running out quickly, and he didn't have a comeback to her sassy remarks. He felt like he completely lost his game.

"I'm going to ask you one more time, Mr. Takashi. Who are you?" Samantha wrapped her arms over his shoulders. "More importantly, who are you working for?"

"Delete the recording, Samantha." Kaito reached for the device, but Samantha snatched it away before he could grab it.

"Uh uh." She waved her index finger and tapped him on the nose. "I want answers first before I report you to the cops."

"Are you threatening me?" Kaito cackled.

"All I have to do is make sure YOU don't catch me when I run." Samantha blinked at him. "You don't think I can run? Keiji is wild, ask him how many times I've had to chase after him. Toddlers are fast."

"You really piss me off, you know that?" Kaito cracked an angry smile at her. "Just because you heard me say one thing, you act high and mighty—"

"You're stuttering." Samantha sighed in satisfaction. "That's so cute. And your face is turning red! You're getting worked up."

"Give me that recording!" Kaito hissed at her. "I'm not playing games with you. Hand it over before you regret it."

"What are you going to do? Kill me?" Samantha teased him.

"I'm going to break your hand." Kaito quickly pulled Samantha close and twisted her around. She gasped at the action and quickly tugged herself away before ramming her knee into his groin. Kaito blocked it and grabbed her by her leg, dragging it forward so Samantha could lose her balance.

But she caught herself and tugged at his hair, making him roar out in pain. "What are you?! Five? Let go!" He grumbled and grabbed Samantha by her waist.

"You let go!" Samantha exhaled sharply. "Get your hands off me!"

"I don't have time for this crap." Kaito reached for Samantha's hand with the recorder buried deeply in between her fingers. "Give me the recording or I'll snap your fingers in half, Samantha!"

His threat made her angrier so she yanked him by his hair, making him growl. "If you touch my fingers, I'll make sure you go bald you dastard! Tell me who you are working for!"

"Jesus Christ!" Kaito groaned before kicking Samantha's feet off the ground. She released him and fell on her back. Her breath felt rushed when she landed on the gravel.

Kaito crawled on top of her and reached for the hands again, but he let his guard down. Samantha kicked him in the groin, finally hitting him this time. Kaito's voice became strained, allowing for Samantha to roll him off of herself.

She changed positions quickly and crawled on top of him before holding his hands above his head. "Enough!" She screamed and allowed her chest to rise and fall steadily. She needed to catch her breath.

Because of their fighting, her hair had come out of the messy bun and her sweat made her hair frizzy from all the movement. Kaito didn't attempt to remove her from him. She had worn him out as well, even though he held back from using all his strength so as not to hurt her.

Kaito relaxed his body against the dirt ground, and the two just stared at each other, taking deep breaths for what seemed like forever.

"I can't do this anymore, honestly," Samantha mumbled. "You don't care, but I'm so tired. You dragged me thousands of miles away from my home, kept me in this dump of a town! You took my only son away from me, and forced me to work for your mother as a server, all so you could do some dumb mission!" One of her tears fell off her face and landed on Kaito's neck.