Chapter 16

"Where are you going?" Samantha yawned and approached Kaito by the front door while he was placing his hat and coat on. Kaito smiled at her.

"To the cafe." He lied. Kaito was planning on meeting Wilson at his apartment. Wilson had found out the bidder and buyer for the missing flash drive, he was going to find out who it was.

"I thought you were keeping the cafe closed today. I was hoping you could stay home with Keiji." She groaned and rubbed her tired eyes.

"I'm sorry." Kaito frowned.

"It's fine, I'll just take him to daycare." Samantha raised her fist to her lips and began coughing lightly.

"Thank you. I love you." Kaito leaned forward to kiss her, but Samantha dodged him and jerked back. He straightened himself up, completely puzzled. "What's wrong?" He was trying to remember if he did anything wrong. Maybe she was suspicious of him.

"I think I caught a small bug or something.  I don't want to give you any germs."

Kaito placed his hand on her forehead, and it felt a little hot. Maybe she had a slight fever. "You have work today, right? I think you should stay home and rest."

"No, it's fine. I'll wear a mask or something to work. We have too many bills to pay."

"Sam, I'll take care of that." Kaito groaned. He didn't like when she was persistent. It was one of his least favorite traits about her, not that he had any favorites. He kissed her on her cheek and gave her a fake smile. "Just get some rest. I'll bring you back some soup." He opened the apartment door and locked it behind him.

Then he went to his car and began his route to get to Wilson. Samantha on the other hand decided to ignore her husband's request and got dressed for work. She also dressed Keiji and as she left the apartment with everything she needed, she noticed there was a used cigarette in front of their door.

She thought it was weird because Leo didn't smoke. They didn't have any next-door neighbors yet either. She kicked it off their porch and grabbed Keiji in her arms before placing him in her car.

After dropping her son off at a nearby daycare center, she went to work. On the way there, her coughing worsened. "Crap." She parked in a spot and searched the dashboard for any coughing pills. She left the medicine back at home.

She put on a face mask and went inside the building. Some of her coworkers greeted her with small smiles as she walked past several departments to get to her own office. Recently, she had been meeting the deadlines accordingly. Mr. Giles allowed her to continue making simple reports around the town.

Now that the beginning of wintertime was rolling in, the company was getting busier doing their Holiday promotions, or secret Santa coverage.

Although Samantha was getting things done, she felt sympathy for her old friend Isabella. Over the years, she started losing her spotlight in the papers.

Isabella was still persistent in trying to find out more information about the Yakuza, and more specifically, Kaito's real identity. Because of that, there was still a lot of tension between Samantha and her.

Samantha was starting to get scared for Isabella's safety but continued letting her do whatever she wanted. She couldn't convince or try to stop a grown adult from doing whatever they wanted. Every time Samantha tried being respectful about her concerns to Isabella, she'd flat out refuse or scream at her.

There was still some small part in Samantha's heart that made her want to rekindle the friendship the two had before, but she felt like it was impossible.

"Excuse me." That familiar voice snapped Samantha out of her thoughts. She blinked and raised her head to look at whoever caught her attention. It was Isabella, Samantha was standing at the copy-printer machine and in her way.