63

"Born?"

"Yes, mija, it started that early." Maria answered.

"You mean you've literally been lying my entire life?" (Y/N) spat, ripping her hand from Angelo's gentle hold.

"Please, allow us to explain." He begged."When Maria found she was pregnant, your father had already left. You were about three weeks from being born into this world when I agreed to be your abuelo. It was the happiest day of my life,"

"Since he was so excited, I figured that was a free pass for me to leave." Maria added."Just as an extra precaution, I went to my close friend, Mrs. Garcia. I thought that with her and Angelo watching you, and having a best friend would be all you needed. I took as many steps as I could think of to make sure you were safe before I left. Unfortunately, I had no idea there would be any outrageous problems like the one you've been facing this whole time."

"So what all did you know?" (Y/N) inquired impatiently.

"I knew that the Garcias had some...odd family history. I knew that Enrique's father died quite young. That's about it. I didn't think that mattered."

"And you?" She looked to Angelo.

"I knew...I knew that Señora Garcia had secrets. I was never aware of any definitive details, but I knew more than your mother did. I learned more as you were growing. I noticed Enrique's shift in behavior before you did. I made it my mission to keep you safe no matter what, but I also had to keep my agreement with your mother, that you and Enrique would be engaged by your early teens." He explained.

"Of course, I didn't one hundred percent expect that of you. You were more than welcome to reject him regardless of how he felt." Said Maria.

It was only the beginning, yet (Y/N) was starting to feel a headache.

"Let's start with Enrique," she said."When he started acting different, what did Mrs, Garcia do?"

"She began to act more timid and afraid of him. He was more defiant than the average teen boy. He mumbled to himself a lot, which made Garcia quite suspicious. It wasn't until recently I realized what she was worried about. She was acting as if something was...haunting her almost. It makes sense if it was his father."

"Sounds like I should be talking to her then." (Y/N) clenched fists only tightened at the thought of Mrs. Garcia being another cause of this mess.

"Probably. Just don't punch her, okay?" Maria chuckled, point in to (Y/N)'s hands.

"You wouldn't get very far. Her mental health has almost deteriorated." Angelo muttered.

"Please tell me you know how to stop Enrique's father for good." (Y/N) begged, looking at both of them frantically.

They remained silent.

"Of course you don't."

"Unfortunately, there's probably no way to stop something that's already dead." Maria sighed.

That's when (Y/N) got an idea."We can't stop it...but, what if we...hid it."

"Hid it? You mean, to seel it somewhere no one will find it."

"Exactly. I don't entirely blame you two, though I am still pissed. But, if you help get rid of it, I might forgive you...someday." She said with a cheeky smirk.

"Anything is better than you hating me for the rest of your life. We both had a part to play in this, therefore we should have no objections." Angelo smiled.

"Uh, I do!" Maria raised her hand."Where do we even put something like that? Who's to say someone won't find it in the future?"

(Y/N) and Angelo's smiles dropped. She had a valid point that ruined the mood. It wouldn't be right to leave their problems for another generation to deal with. What if someone else lost lived ones simply because this vengeful spirit felt like it?

With that in the back of her mind, (Y/N) couldn't live her life comfortably knowing that she'd be putting the future in danger.

"Then what do you suggest we do?"

"I dunno! I've never dealt with crap like this before!" She exclaimed.

Rolling her eyes, (Y/N) left the chair she was sitting in and walked toward the door."Where are you going, mija?" Angelo inquired.

"To speak to Señora Garcia. I've heard everything I needed from you two. But...I'm still not satisfied." With that, she left them in the shop alone, confused and a bit terrified if the look she had in her eyes.

Maria sighed and scratched the back of her head."She's determined. What a strong young woman she is." She smiled, watching her daughter disappear around the corner from the door window. Her smile then faded before she hopped off the counter and walked toward the stairs.

"You're regretting your past. I can tell."

"Shut up, old man." She continued up to her room and shut the door. Angelo was right, though. After hearing herself explain it all out loud, she was forced to realize just how messed up it was.

She didn't want to admit it, but she knew that leaving (Y/N) behind was a massive mistake.

If I'd stayed and taken responsibility, none of this would've happened to her. Her life was a disaster because of me, she covered her face as she sobbed in her bed, left all alone with her own thoughts and sorrows. All of her regrets.

(Y/N) reached the Garcia house and knocked firmly on the door. The one to open the door was just who she'd expected.

"(Y/N)! It's so good to see you."

For years, (Y/N) loathed seeing this face. The face of a boy the same age as her, who would claim her as his property, call her his wife as grab her with no intentions of letting go. The boy who came between her and her newfound love, her family, and her friends. The boy who even took the lives of a few people, all apparently for fun.

But now, it's reverted back to being the face of a timid and shy young man, respectable and sweet with a soft voice to match.

"Enrique..." She trailed off, unsure of what to think. He'd changed into a black button up shirt with brown pants, not too different from what he wore yesterday."Um, is your, uh..."

"She's sleeping. I'm sorry." He apologized."Would you like to come in anyway? I could make you something." He offered kindly.

Despite wanting to, she couldn't say no. He looked so innocent, so unassuming and cute.

"Y-yeah, sure. Why not."