15

"You happy to see me? Tio Camilo is here while your mommy takes a nap." The Madrigal smiled at the infant in his arms who smiled back, laughing and giggling at the funny faces he made.

The baby mumbled and tried to speak, accidentally calling him dada a few times."No, I'm not your dada. But I am your friend." The baby grabbed hold of his index finger just to hold it. The mother of said baby was asleep on the bench behind him, exhausted from her motherly duties.

Camilo envied her. She didn't have anyone hanging over her to ensure she didn't stop working.

"Camilo!" A familiar, angelic voice called to him as he cradled the baby in his arms. He wanted to greet them with a smile, but he had to remain focused. I can't get distracted.

"Let's hang out today!" She tried to out a hand on his shoulder, but he jerked back to pull away.

"I-I can't." He stutters, turning his shoulder toward her. She notices the baby in his hands and rolls her eyes at herself.

"Right, you're busy. Well, afterward, we can-"

"I said I can't."

She freezes."You're busy all day?"

"I can't get distracted," he mutters, barely audible to (Y/N). He continues to whisper to himself, making the baby's smile disappear.

"I'm willing to wait until tomorrow, if that's better for you." Her voice is softer, more apologetic sounding now, clutching at the cloth of her skirt.

He's silent for a moment before he mutters,"I don't know. I have a lot to do."

I can't get distracted. Abuela will be upset. Abuelo Pedro, too.

"If that's the case, just let me know whenever, I guess." With a shrug, she attempts to give him a hug, but he pulls away yet again.

"Kinda holding a baby right now." He says coldly.

"Right..."

With a very cold and distant conversation finally concluding, she leaves.

Camilo feels awful as he watches her slowly stroll into the distance. But he pulls himself together and forces a smile toward the baby. Don't get distracted.

That was...weird. (Y/N) thought, her feet slowing to a halt in the cobblestone street."Discúlpame! Pardon me, miss!" A man on a donkey with a wagon strapped to it yelled to her. She jumped out of the way into the brick sidewalk and watched as the donkey and wagon rode by. The wagon held large box covered with a cloth in it, along with other things surrounding it.

The man waved an apology before he continued on his way to make deliveries. She returned to her thoughts, her shoulders drooping like before and continuing her slow walk.

Did she do something wrong? Did she disrespect him or his family in some way during lunch?

Whatever it was, she wanted to know so she could fix it. This was sudden, a weird change in atmosphere around him. He acted like he didn't like her, like they weren't friends. It was as if he didn't even know her, but there was no explanation.

Her heart felt heavy and her chest hurt. Her plans had been ruined for the day so she wasn't sure what to do next. Sitting on the curb, she slumped over with her chin in her hands.

Her mind wandered back to when she spoke to her abuelo, the words that came from her mouth made her feel embarrassed now. Camilo doesn't think of me that way at all. What in the world was I thinking? She face palmed. I got my hopes up over nothing.