11

"Today was amazing! Thank you so much for inviting me." (Y/N) beamed, carrying the now empty bowl with crumbs of Buñuelos and the sugar-cinnamon topping swishing around inside.

"Thanks for coming." Camilo replies with a cheeky wink. Her heart fluttered, butterflies rapidly gliding around her stomach.

"(Y/N)!" Antonio ran through the front door,  and up to the girl, tilting his head back to meet her eyes."Are you leaving already?"

"Yeah, I should go. I don't want to overstay my welcome." She giggled."But, I wanted to play with you. Can I talk to your horse? Just a little bit?" His massive brown eyes we're like magnet tugging on her heart strings. She resisted the temptation to pick him up and squeeze his cheeks.

"Oh, okay. I guess that's fine." She gave in to his adorable charm and allowed him to see Gonzales. The boy and the horse started a full on conversation.

"He's so adorable." She squeaked out, holding back a scream.

"Isn't he?" Camilo steps closer, leaning his elbow on her shoulder."He gets it from me, y'know."

(Y/N) turns her head, eyes instantly meeting Camilo's. She's silent before a moment before humming lowly, squinting her eyes and tilting her head."I don't see it."

His jaw drops, she giggles at his false astonishment."I'm kidding. You look cute."

Camilo smirks, shifting into her form again and mocking her for the second time.

"Ugh, knock it off!"

"You look cute!" He says again until she's hunched over laughing.

From the kitchen window and the front door, members if the family watch their exchange. Tia Pepa watched with a drizzle above her as her first son was growing up before her very eyes."It's all happening so fast," she sniffled."Next thing you know, he'll be getting married, and-"

"Don't think that far ahead, Amor. Technically they aren't even dating." Felix shooed the cloud away, holding his wife by her shoulder.

"They may as well be. Dolores, what are they saying?" Mirabel whispered. Dolores tilted her head, listening for their words.

"He keeps saying she looks cute in a weird high pitched voice. I think he's mocking what she said earlier."

"Awe. They're so cute," Luisa was visibly fighting back tears."My little cousin is a big boy now."

"I can't wait to be the flower girl at their wedding." Isabella says.

"Alright, enough," Julieta says, standing in front of the sink."Can one of you help me gather the rest of the dirty dishes?"

"On it!" Luisa books it to the dining room.

"Everyone get out of the windows. Help clean the table, please." Augustin says, carrying a stack of plates for Julieta to wash. They all listened to him and found something productive to do.

Outside, Camilo and (Y/N)'s conversation continued.

"Thanks again. Today was really fun."

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Camilo reached out his hand to her. She gracefully shook it with a firm grip.

"Yup!"

They're gazes locked into each other for more than just a moment.

In the lighting of the afternoon sun, they saw something. Their worlds froze, their eyes saying all that needed to be said.

Camilo's eyes flicked from her eyes to her lips every few seconds, wanting desperately to know how they felt. Were they soft, moist, what did they taste like, etc. They were plump and so cute. His lips yearned for hers.

"I-I should get going." She stuttered.

"Right. Sorry." He slowly allows her hand to slide from his grasp, her turned to mount Gonzales. Antonio steps back after hugging the horse's big nose and saying goodbye.

Gonzales turns around to take (Y/N) home.

"Bye, Gonzales! Bye, (Y/N)!" The youngest Madrigal waved happily as the distance between them grew greater.

"Bye, little Tonito! See you later!"

Camilo waved silently.

The two brothers returned to their family, the dining table cleaned and the dishes washed."Camilo," Antonio tugged on his brother's pant leg."I still can't find the jaguar. Can you help me look for him?"

"He still won't respond to you?"

"No. I'm getting scared. I don't want Abuela to get mad at me if I can't help." His small grip on his brother's pants grew tighter, tears pricked at his eyes. Camilo could see the genuine worry and fear on his face.

Camilo bent down to his level, cupping his face in his hands."I'll keep an eye out for him. And, I'll try to talk to Abuela, so please don't cry, okay? Your big brother is always here for you, Toñito."

"You promise?"

"I double pinky promise." With one arm crossed over the other, he held out both pinkies to his brother. They locked with his much smaller pinkies and Antonio smiled brightly, wrapping his arms around Camilo's neck.

"You're the best."

"It's all for you, little guy."

Trusting in his sibling's words, Antonio retreats upstairs to his room. Sucking in a breath to fill himself with confidence, Camilo sets off to find his Abuela. He didn't have to look very far, for she was sweeping the kitchen floor. The evening sun glistening through the window and covering her.

"Hello Abuela," he greets with a smile. She looks up, happy to see her eldest grandson and reaches out to touch his face.

"Camilo, can you help me with the rest of the kitchen, mijo?" She asks. He nods and begin to wipe down the counters. They remain in silence for a short while, Camilo trying to think of a way to not sound rude.

"Antonio told me he hasn't been able to call his jaguar lately."

"Ah, si," she sighs."Just when we found a way to put his power to good use for the community. So disappointing."

"About that-" he turned around with the wet rag hanging from his hand and a nervous expression."Please don't be too hard on him about it. He's really trying his best, but he's only five. Maybe he's still just getting use to it. He still needs some practice."

"I know that," her expression hardened, sending annoyed."But as a Madrigal, we have a duty to uphold. We have to earn our miracle everyday. He has a part to play just like the rest of us."

Camilo fell silent. He hadn't necessarily expected a different response, but it was still surprising to hear her say it. The lack of sympathy in her voice was heart breaking. It was like she was talking about an employee rather than her youngest grandson.

Camilo couldn't think of anything else to say. It seemed he knew where she stood on the matter already.

There was nothing more to say.