7

The citizens of the Encanto had a long, hard day. As the sun fell, people began to feel relaxed,

It had officially been a week since Antonio's gift ceremony. So far, he'd only used his new ability to help Luisa herd the donkeys back to their barn, speaking to them with kind words, and using his jaguar for a bit of intimidation to ensure their cooperation. His help was much appreciated by the farmer.

Today wasn't as easy though.

Camilo yawned, smiling at the thoughts traversing his mind. After completing his chores, he spent the rest of the day with his new friend. He learned so much about her, how funny she is, how talented, and how great she is with both animals and kids. He even got to formally meet her horse, Gonzales. It'd been a while since he smiled this much away from the view of others. He felt genuinely happy.

He slipped into his room, undressed from his normal clothes and replacing them with something comfortable to sleep in. Popping onto his bed, he stared at the mirrors that circled his bed. Most days, he hated them. He hated looking at himself because he didn't see anything.

But today, he saw a smile. A real smile that just wouldn't go away. A smile that made his cheeks hurt. He wanted this feeling to last forever.

The feeling or tiredness hung over him like a weighted blanket, his eyelids growing heavier with each blink. Finally, he let them close.

*Sniff*

Camilo's brown-green eyes shot open. The sound of a muffled sniff, echoing through the dark void that was his room. Looking around for any sign of the source, he scratched his head in confusion before he heard it again. Hanging off the side of his bed, he checked underneath to find his baby brother laying there with his face buried in his arms.

"Tonito," he said breathlessly. He shimmied his way under his bad beside his brother as close as he could."What's wrong, bud?"

His silence only worried Camilo further. The sniffles and light sobs broke his heart. His usual happy little brother was hiding under his bed in tears and he needed to know why.

"Please talk to me. What's wrong?" He brushed Antonio's hair to the side, taking his small face into his hand to see his red, puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks."A-Abuela got mad at me," he stuttered in a whisper.

"Why? Did you do something wrong?"

"I was helping Luisa with the donkeys," he sniffles as Camilo used his thumb to wipe away his tears."I tried to call the jaguar to help, but it didn't work."

"Do you know why?" He inquired. Antonio shook his head. Is that really a reason to be upset with a five-year-old? He wondered."You can still call other animals, right?"

Antonio nods, shedding another tear."Yes, but my jaguar is my best friend. He always comes to me, always. But he didn't come at all this time. And Abuela got mad because I didn't help." He returned his face to its hiding spot in the crooks of his arms."Abuela is scary."

"No, no, Tonito, Abuela isn't scary." Camilo tried to hush his brother's cries with a hug, light rocking his from side to side.

He barely agreed with his own words. He knew that when their grandmother wasn't happy, just her face with no words could strike fear into their hearts, even their own parents. Her word was law, and if you didn't comply, you'd be scolded.

But to be angry at little Antonio, the angel of the Madrigals who could do no wrong even if he tried. That was out of the ordinary, even for their very strict Abuela.

"Can I stay with you?" The small boy asks, looking up at his brother with his his, brown eyes. Camilo nods."Yeah, c'mon." Tilting his head to the side to direct Antonio, they crawl out from under his bed and climb on top.