34

Camilo shouts from the top of the stairs. The half of his family that was downstairs looked up to meet his fearful gaze as he leaned over the banister.

"It's Dolores! She passed out!"

Pepa was the first to race upstairs to the open room, laying eyes on her oldest daughter unconscious on her floor. They could hear the poor girl struggling to breathe.

Her face was even more swollen than before, the cream used on her hives was spilled on the floor beside her. Camilo and Felix picked her up, carrying her to her bed and laying here down gently. With his ear near her lips, Felix listened close.

"She's not getting enough oxygen. We have to do something before she stops breathing completely!"

"We need to find mama!" Mirabel exclaims.

"What good is food if she's not awake to eat it?!" Isabella retorts.

"Then what do you suggest we do, huh?!" Tears threatened to fall from her eyes. The stress was affecting everyone but Alma wouldn't let them lose their heads.

"We need to calm down and think clearly
I know it's hard, and we're all worried. We need to open Dolores's air ways so she can breathe properly." She began to instruct Pepa and Felix on what to do.

The children stood outside the room, the door now shut, and waited.

Mirabel was trembling, tears streaming down her cheeks and she tried desperately to suppress her sobs.

"Will Dolores be okay?" Antonio asks. His older brother and cousins immediately feign smiles to make him feel better. All except for Mirabel.

"She'll be fine. She's just tired from scratching so much, it shouldn't be too long before she wakes up. And when she does-" Isabella bent down and wrapped her arms around her baby cousin tightly."She's gonna give you a big ol' hug, just like this!"

Antonio giggled uncontrollably as Isa squeezed him tight, tickling his tummy and kissing his cheeks. Mirabel admired his innocence. He could be told that everything would be fine and he'd take anyone's word for it. Not to mention he could be easily distracted with hugs and kisses.

She wished she could believe that everything would be fine, but there just wasn't enough evidence to support such a claim. With everything going on, they were stranded in darkness and had no clear way out.

Mirabel was determined to fix this. She saved her family once, and she wasn't afraid to it again.

Bruno exited Dolores' room and shut the door behind him. His eyes immediately met Camilo's who'd finally changed back into his normal clothes.

"We're trying what we can, but we aren't sure where to go next. Felix is trying as many medicinal herbs as he and Isabella can think of. She's getting tired of growing plants, though." He explained. Luisa sighed. Antonio sniffled, tugging on Luisa's skirt as he held back the tears.

"Where is Mirabel?" He turned his head to look for his youngest niece.

"She went to her room." Camilo replied.

"Alone?"

He nods, and Bruno sprints for her room. Confused, Luisa follows with Antonio right behind her. Throwing the nursery door open, Bruno surveys the room, his heart sinking when he sees it's empty.

"You had one job, Camilo! One!" He shouts.

"Well excuse me for being distracted by the fact that my sister is DYING!" He screamed back.

"What's going on?" Luisa demanded with base in her voice."Where is Mirabel?" Antonio poked his head out from behind her.

Bruno and Camilo exchange glances before sighing."We think she may have gone to find Julieta on her own."

"We should go with her-"

"No, we shouldn't!" He cut off Antonio. Gripping the cloth of his poncho, he heaved a sigh to calm himself."That Enrique kid is very dangerous! I don't know how he did it, but my vision didn't see Julieta going missing. If he's behind this...he's going to kill Mirabel."

"What?!"

Antonio began to sob. The window panels squeaked.

"You don't know where she went? Why'd you let her leave?!"

The panels squeaked again.

"She only said she needed fresh air? Ugh, Casita!" Luisa growled angrily. The panels squeaked frantically, apologizing to her not noticing.

"I'll go after her-"

"No," Luisa harshly shoved Camilo to the side. Bruno jumped out of the way as she headed for the door."You two are going to tell abuela what you're hiding. I'm going to look for my sister and you'd better tell her everything. Antonio,"

"You got it, boss." He saluted to her as she stormed downstairs and out the front door of the house. The tiny Madrigal extra the two with a stern look."Prima Luisa told you to do something. You better get moving."

He turns to hear to the room where the rest of the family resided. Bruno and his nephew looked worriedly at each other, knowing they had no choice but to confess.

"We're doomed."