Part 64: Impromptu Debut

Start from the beginning

"The what?"

"Exactly!"

She swatted Storm's backside with a small handbag. "That's enough out of you. Better get out of here before Stella runs off with your date."

"I just may do that. He's a little cutie." Stella appeared in the threshold of the bedroom dressed in her own scarlet mini dress. "Unless Nikki scared him off first."

"Oh god!" Storm grimaced and frantically fired off questions.

"What are they doing to him?"
"Did you hear anything?"
"Did they run him off?"

"No, not yet at least. Usually my eavesdropping skills are top notch. I did catch one thing from Tommy though–"

"What? What did he say?" Storm interrupted, chewing her bottom lip.

"Just that neither he nor Nikki are afraid to go back to jail–"

"Oh god!"

"— and they were going to show him Nikki's knife collection."

Mortified didn't even begin to describe the look on Storm's face as she wondered aloud if anyone had actually ever died from embarrassment.

Amused as they were at the typical melodramatic reaction of a fifteen-year old's life being 'literally ruined', Ashten and Stella decided to put the kids out of their misery and make their way to Tommy's. Much to Storm and her date's visible relief, proper introductions were made and a swift exit immediately followed.

Once the room cleared, Ashten cocked her eyebrow at Nikki.

"What?" He asked with wide-eyed innocence.

"What did you say to that poor boy?

"Nothing bad," Nikki slid his arms into a black military pinstripe jacket over his white dress shirt and dark denim jeans. "You look beautiful, by the way."

She didn't respond and crossed her arms over her chest to fix an accusatory stare on him while he stepped closer, pulling her into him by her hips.

"Fuckin' gorgeous. Just like... all the time, really. New dress?"

"Nikki." Ashten tried in vain to hold back the involuntary smile but it kept trying to push its way through.

"I didn't threaten him. I introduced myself, shook his hand, told him that curfew is not a vague suggestion and that whatever he does to my daughter— I will do to him."

Ashten rolled her eyes. "Uh huh. And what did you tell your son?"

"About what?"

"He's going to the dance, too. Did you give him a speech or is that just for your daughter's suitors?"

"He doesn't have a date." Nikki replied.

"No date?" Stella asked, surprised.

"Nope. Couldn't decide who to ask."

"Just couldn't narrow it down, huh?" Tommy chuckled from his perch on the counter.

"Dude, the kid is a total chick magnet. He has this whole brooding poet thing going on. Don't know where he gets it." Nikki's eyebrows furrowed when the other three people in the room looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"What?"

"Yeah, can't even begin to imagine where he got that from," Tommy snorted.

"Regardless," Ashten released herself out of Nikki's grip and leaned against the table. "Did your son get the same set of rules your daughter's date got?"