"The wire of the land phone was cut from outside" he stated with a blank expression on his face, "we need to inspect this more. These officers will stay here for your protection. I will come back again after I sort this out at the station" he squeezed my arm, "Don't go anywhere" he warned.

"Okay! I'm going to go home" Maddy opened the door of her car.

"Wait!" Richard called her out, "Can you tell us why you want Megan to be admitted to a mental hospital?" he asked and I was shocked to hear that news.

"What?! What do you mean?" she asked, surprised.

"Why? you talked with your therapist about that, didn't you?"

Maddy gripped the door tightly gritting her teeth, "that damn therapist" she cursed.

"He didn't tell us directly. We just found out. But we are going to dig deep and we will get a warrant if necessary" Richard stated, still wearing that blank expression on his face.

"Good luck with that. I'm going to go"

Maddy got in closing her door with a loud bang and glared at Richard and Logan before driving away.

I let out a breath that didn't know I was holding and turned to look at Richard with a questioning look.

"Is that true?"

"True? What?" He asked, annoyed.

"Megan? Mental hospital?" I reminded not to let him get out of the question.

"Yes, that's true" Logan answered for him, "you shouldn't have done that, Richard. You should've waited-"

"Wait for what? until someone gets killed?" Richard looked angry, "you know we're not going anywhere with this case, right? Either Maddy is very smart or the killer is someone else" he huffed annoyed.

Logan only watched him, understanding that his partner was frustrated because his brother was a target. I couldn't blame him though. Brittany's death and the attack on Levi put people of our town on edge. So I couldn't imagine the burden they felt not being able to solve this case without a single clue.

"Did you not find any foot prints or finger prints at Brittany's murder scene?" I asked, remembering there wasn't any single note about them.

Richard narrowed his eyes, "it had rained that night making it hard for us to recover any footprints" he eyed the plastic bag with a knife in Logan's hand, "there were no fingerprints too. But we hope if we find a weapon we could find a sample that match with Brittany's DNA"

"I think you said enough Richard!" Logan scolded him, "let's go now. You have to come back again"

With that Logan left mumbling 'be safe and take care yourself' to me. Richard left too, after giving some instructions to those police officers. He had taken that rock for fingerprints, I guessed and he asked me to leave everything as it was since he was going to come back and check on it again.

So after everything settled down I went to my bedroom and closed the door, clearly exhausted from the events that happened today.

Maddy!

A tear rolled down my cheek. Did she really come to kill me? Didn't she love me at all? Did she have a mental illness? If so, I think it could relieve some of my pain. Because then I could help her to get better and would be able to help find herself again. 

But what if she was really here to kill me? Did that make any sense?

No, no! I was giving too much thought into this shit. They didn't prove anything yet and I was still alive. So I decided I wasn't going to give up on her until they proved her to be the murderer.

So there were only two questions left.

Who called them and why? And who threw the rock...?

Was it the same person? And how did they know I was in danger?

Okay! There were more than two questions.

But seriously who? My mind ran towards Megan for a second. Could it be her?

Nah! She was angry this morning and if it was her then it only proves Maddy was here to kill me.

Urgh! It was so confusing. Why couldn't Richard find the murderer soon?

I searched my phone under my covers when I felt it vibrating. I sat up straight when I saw the name. Maddy!

I hesitated to answer the call as I wasn't expecting to hear from her this soon, not after the way she left us. She hung up before I could do anything, so I opened my call log to call her back.

Urgh! twelve missed calls from Richard earlier and one from Maddy.

I was about to call her back when her name flashed across the screen again. I answered the call quickly, putting the phone against my ear.

"Maddy!" I breathed.

The line was silent for a few minutes but I heard a sniffing from the other side.

"Alex!" She finally spoke up sniffing again, "are you safe now? Is your brother staying with you?" She questioned.

"Yes, I'm okay! And Richard's coming back. But we have two officers out there watching the house" I answered.

"Hmm... that's good" she sniffed again, "Listen, Alex!..."

"Maddy, are you crying?" I interrupted her.

"I'm... I'm okay! Don't worry" I could tell she was holding back her cries, "I just wanted to tell you that... that... I love you Alex! And I promise you everything's going to be okay from now on"