Tomorrow Part 8 ~ Steve Rogers x Reader

"So, I'll have a vibrainum knee much like Bucky's arm," Y/N carefully summed up what she had just been told.

"Yes," Shuri confirmed. "The main difference is that yours will be internal."

"Right."

It had been two days since your and Steve's date. Steve continued to rarely leave your side and you very much welcomed it. Shuri, T'Challa, and their crew had arrived the previous night. T'Challa, Shuri, Steve, Tony, and Bruce were gathered around your bed, going over the plan, while the rest of the team listened in from outside the room.

"Stark and I have two options that we are positive will work," Shuri continued to explain. "I will decide which one of them to use during the surgery."

"The surgical suite is almost finished getting prepped with the Wakandan tech," Tony stated.

"As soon as it's done, we'll get you into surgery."

"You're going to do surgery today?" Steve asked.

"Yes. We need to do it as quick as possible before anything can get worse."

"She isn't even fully healed from her other injuries."

"Steve," you said, grabbing Steve's hand. "It's okay. I'll be okay. Shuri knows what she is doing."

"She's right, Captain," Shuri responded. "My team and I will take good care of her."

Bruce noticed Steve's continued worry. "Why don't we leave them alone until it's time for surgery?" He suggested.

"I'll be in to get you when it's time," Shuri told you before leaving, her brother right behind her. Everyone else quickly followed.

"Steve, please sit," you requested.

Not looking at you, he sat on the bed beside you. His shoulders were tense, jaw clenched, with his eyes slowly filling with the swirl of emotions he was burdened feeling. You sighed, trying to find a way to make this better.

To be honest, you were actually terrified to go into surgery. With your many other injuries still healing and under careful watch, so much could go wrong. You did trust Shuri and her team, but that didn't help the anxiety that was bubbling up within you.

Then there was Steve, who was usually much more attentive to your own feelings than you were, drowning himself in fear and worry. Unable to see how much you were struggling with this as well. You had to ease his fears, even if you couldn't do that for yourself.

"Look at me, please," you whispered. He didn't move. "Steve..."

You lifted your hand and gently took hold of Steve's bearded chin, guiding his head in your direction. His eyes finally met yours, shining with growing tears and emotions. Your hand moved up to cup his face a little more, rubbing your thumb against his cheek. A tear slipped out of his eye. Bit your lip as you wiped the tear away and tears pooled in your own eyes.

"I'm scared." Steve, whose voice was usually strong, steady, and firm, had a voice so raw, small, and broken in that moment.

"I know... me too." You responded, failing to add the strength you wish you could to it.

The guilt that immediately hit Steve was overwhelming. How had let himself get caught up in his own emotions when you were the one physically growing through it all? He needed to be strong for you but he was basically forcing you to be the strong one.

"I'm sorry," Steve whimpered, collapsing into you.

His arms wrapped around you, clinging onto you like you would disappear at any moment. Your arms were pinned, not allowing you to hold onto him. Steve buried his face into your neck as the sobs began wracking his body. His tears spilled onto the thin hospital gown covering you, quickly soaking through onto your skin.