Purple ~ Bucky Barnes x Reader

Word Count: 1,230ish

Summary: You have a secret you have yet to tell Bucky. (Fluff/very small angst)

Notes: This is based on a real condition that I have. Please be kind.

~~~

Stress has never been anyone's friend, especially yours. Luckily, you had this, as Tony like to put it, 'special power'. You had what is known as Raynaud's syndrome or Raynaud's phenomenon. Any time you got stressed out or too cold, the smaller arteries that supply blood to the skin on your fingers and toes constrict excessively. This limits the blood supply to your fingers and toes, causing them to turn purple and cold.

Tony and Sam quickly nicknamed you, Elsa, even though you had no powers as such. Your fingers and toes were always colder than the average person, almost like they were ready to cut off the blood supply at any moment.

It was never really too bad, though never really nice either. Sometimes though, when you didn't sense how stressed out you were, it was a helpful reminder to calm yourself down.

Bucky was fairly new to the team by about two months. Fortunately for you, he had no idea about your issue especially since it was summer time, so the cold wasn't getting to you like winter.

The two of you hit it off almost immediately, quickly becoming close friends and both wanting more. Though you were both too scared to do anything about it. Eventually, Bucky did ask you out and you were currently getting ready for it. As you checked yourself over in the mirror, you were becoming stressed out. You could feel the tingling sensation in your right finger tips, warning you that the blood circulation was beginning to slow.

"Oh, come on," you muttered. You grabbed your finger tips and began to massage them, trying to get them warmed up. "I really can't be doing this right now." You took a deep breath, trying to stop stressing. "It's just Buck. It's not like we don't spend alone time together all the time." A knock sounding on your bed room door. "Okay," you breathed out. "You got this... calm down."

You walked over and opened your door to see a clearly nervous Bucky holding a bouquet of your favorite flowers. When he finally met your eyes, he was starstruck. You were always gorgeous to him, but something about actually going on a date with you made you even more beautiful to him.

"You look... wow," Bucky said. "Here." He held out the flowers. "This are for you."

"Thank you, Buck," you replied, reaching out to take them. "They're gorgeous." Your fingers brushed his hand as you took the flowers from him.

"Woah there, doll," he chuckled. "Your fingers are a little cold. You warm enough?"

"I'm fine. My fingers just run at a lower temperature. Let me just put these down and then we can go."

You turned around and glared at your fingers as you set the flowers on the dresser. Taking a calming breath before you turned around, you went back to Bucky.

"Now," you shut your door behind you, "where are we off to, Barnes?"

"It's a surprise, doll," Bucky responded with a smirk.

His metal hand grabbed your right one, making your heart beat faster. Bucky guided you out of the Tower and onto the streets of New York City. You let him lead the way. He took the two fo you down a few blocks, stopping in front of an older looking building you had never noticed before.

"What is this, Buck?" You asked, looking around.

"You'll see," he replied.

Bucky led you into the building, where old music instantly filled your ears. You looked around, realizing that it was an old dance hall. Mostly older couples filled the dance floor and the booths lining the sides. You and Bucky-well, you, were clearly the youngest person there.

"I thought we could do something that I was a little familiar with," Bucky said as you two stopped and looked around. "But if you don't want to, that's per-"

"It's wonderful, Buck," you grinned. "But I... I don't know how to dance."

"That's okay." He gave your hand a slight squeeze. "I'll be happy to teach you."

You nodded nervously, feeling your fingers once again losing circulation. With a smile, Bucky pulled you onto a dance floor. They were in the middle of a swing dance, which Bucky quickly led you both into. You were laughing as Bucky tried to teach you the moves. Eventually, a slow song came on and Bucky wrapped his flesh arm around you, pulling you into his chest. His metal hand grabbed your right one, holding it up, as your left hand rested at the base of his neck.

Being this close to Bucky made you nervous. You tried to hide it, but you could feel your finger tips begin to grow cold and tingly.

"Your hand is keeping my neck cool, doll," Bucky chuckled. "You sure you're warm enough?"

"Yeah, I-"

"Shit, Y/N!" Bucky quickly stopped dancing and grabbed onto the wrist of your hand that his metal one had been holding. "Your fingers are purple! Did I...? I hurt you." His face was quickly full of sadness and guilt. "I-"

"You didn't hurt me, Buck!" You shook your head. "I promise! Just- come here."

You took his flesh had with your less purple one and dragged him over to the restrooms. Thankfully, the restrooms were one stall and not gender assigned.

"Umm, Y/N," Bucky nervously said, "what are we doing in the bathroom?"

"I need to warm up my hands," you responded, letting go of his hand and moving to the sink. "Lock the door, will ya?"

"You know," he locked the door, "we're moving a bit fast for a first date."

"Bucky!" You laughed, turning on the sink's warm water. "That's not it."

"Good. Are you sure you're okay? That I didn't hurt you?"

You looked at him using the mirror as you warmed your fingers up under the water. "I promise you, Buck. You didn't hurt me."

"Then what's going on?"

You sighed. "I have this condition called Raynaud's syndrome."

"Raynaud's syndrome?"

"It's where, if I'm cold or stressed out, my fingers, and sometimes toes, lose circulation and turn purple."

"I was stressing you out?"

"No-well, yes. Kinda."

"Kinda?"

"Just, look at you Bucky. You're just so nice and thoughtful and... attractive."

He smirked. "Attractive, huh?"

"Yes. And I just," you shut off the water and began drying your hands, "have been nervous. I didn't want anything to ruin tonight. I've been wanting this date for too long to have my stupid fingers screw it up." You turned around, head down. "I'm sorry, Buck, I guess they did get in the way."

"Hey, hey, hey." Bucky quickly came right in front of you. He gently grabbed your hands. "You did not ruin anything. In fact," he began to massage your fingers, "I'm glad this came out. In now gives me the chance to help you destress and keep you warm. Like this." He brought your hands up and kissed each of your finger tips. "Thank you for telling me." Then he pressed a soft kiss to your lips.

"Thank you for being so understanding," you whispered when you parted.

"Of course, doll. Now, if you're feeling up to it, do you want to head back out and try again? I promise not to stress you out."

"As long as you're leading, I'd follow you anywhere."

Again, I actually have Raynaud's. Though sometimes it's nice to have a warning that I'm too stressed, it's not fun and games all the time. My fingers and toes are always extremely cold.