Possibly Forgotten ~ Bucky Barnes x Reader

Word Count: 1,015ish

Request: Can you write a Bucky imagine where his girlfriend thinks he forgot their anniversary because he's not at home (it's late at night and he's on a mission but she doesn't know that). She falls asleep on the couch waiting for him. When he gets back, he doesn't wake her up but surprises her when she wakes.

~~~

Bucky hadn't answered your texts or phone calls for the past two days. This wasn't unheard of, since your boyfriend was often pulled away on missions out of the blue. But today was your anniversary. And last week you two had planned a romantic night in. It was still early in the day, so he still had time to contact you or surprise you. You decided to get ready for the night as you had originally planned.

You ordered food to be delivered from the place Bucky had taken you on your first date before you began cleaning your apartment. You scrubbed, what felt like, every inch of it, wanting it to be perfectly clean for Bucky and you to spend the night in. Then you choose an outfit, one that he loved to see you in. You treated yourself to a long shower, prepping yourself for the hopefully long night ahead of you.

After showering and getting into your robe, set out to decorate to set the mood. You lit candles around the kitchen, living room, and bedroom. You made sure that condoms were easily accessible from around the house, just in case. Then you finally got dressed right before the food arrived.

You and Bucky had set a time, just in case a mission would happen. He wanted to be able to tell the team that he needed to be done my a certain time. You sat hopeful that he would walk through the door at that time and stayed hopeful until about two hours later. That's when the thoughts began creeping in.

Why hadn't he texted you happy anniversary yet today? He'd texted you on missions before. Maybe it was a really hard mission. Or his phone broke. Or maybe.... Just maybe, whether he was on a mission or not, he forgot. Maybe he had forgotten about your anniversary. That caused your heart to crack slightly. Tears sprung up in your eyes.

After another hour, you put the food away. You went into your room and found one of Bucky's sweatshirts, holding it up to your nose to smell his comforting scent. You slipped it over your head before heading out to curl up on the couch. You turned on whatever chick-flick was playing on tv at the time and failed to hold back the silent tears that streamed down your face. Eventually, sleep over took you, allowing you to dream about what you wished would have happened.

Bucky's eyes were exhausted as he trudged up to your apartment. He had been called out on an emergency mission almost three days ago. And in the mist of all the hustle and panic, his phone at broke. Which made him upset because he was then unable to tell you what was going on and he was unable to wish you a happy anniversary.

He opened your apartment door, careful to not wake you as you often feel asleep on the couch when he was away. And, not to his surprise, there you were. He knew you so well, that he could tell that you had fallen asleep crying. That hurt him. He didn't want you to be crying because of him, never because of him. Bucky glanced around, taking in the sight of the clearly recently cleaned and decorated apartment. There were still candles burning, flickering around the room. The table was set and by the look of the dishes in the sink, you had ordered the food from your first date.

Bucky sighed as he gently set down his mission bag and toed off his shoes. He walked over to you, setting himself on the coffee table in front of the couch. He took in the sight of his sweatshirt over his favorite outfit of yours, which clearly didn't match. When you woke, he was going to owe you big time. And Bucky would happily do anything it took to make it up to you.

After one last, long look at you, Bucky carefully pushed his arms under you and picked you up. You stirred as he headed to your room.

"B-bucky..." you croaked.

"Sshh," he whispered. "Go back to sleep, doll. We'll talk in the morning."

"M'kay," you nodded against his chest. "Missed you..."

"I missed you, too. And I'm sorry that I missed our anniversary." He laid you in the bed and kissed your forehead. "I love you, babygirl."

"Love you, too."

~~~

Bucky was holding you tightly to him when you woke up in the morning. Which was completely fine. His arms were your favorite place to be. You turned so that you could face him, burying your face into his chest. You inhaled deeply, taking in as much of him as you could. A chuckle rumbled from deep within him.

"Enjoying the smell, doll?" He sleepily teased.

"Yes," you responded. "I miss you when you're gone."

"I miss you too." Bucky looked down at you. His rough flesh hand came up and gently guided your chin up so that you could look at his face. "I am so sorry that I missed our anniversary."

You nervously bit at your lip. "Honestly... I had begun to think that you had forgotten..."

"What? No, no, no, no, no." He quickly cupped your face and shook his head as well as he could. "Never. My phone broke in the midst of the chaos of prepping for the mission and then there was so much going on. I would never forget about you. You are way too important to me. And I promise that I'll do anything I can to make it up to you."

"Anything?"

"Absolutely anything. Plus I don't Steve that I'm all yours for at least a week and that he can't bug me until then." He brought his lips to yours for a burning, hungry kiss. As he barely pulled away, your lips tried to chase after his. "Now, what do you want to do today?"

You smirked. "I can think of a few things. And we don't even have to leave the bed."

"Perfect."