Please, Stay ~ Tony Stark x Reader

You were biting your thumb nail as you paced back and forth in the hanger bay. You had been told that Tony was injured and that the team was on their way back. No one would tell you how it happened though, or how bad it was. So you were stuck waiting in the hanger for them. You knew that they were close when the med team arrived, waiting as well. That's when your breathing began picking up and your palms began to sweat, your anxiety setting in.

The roof began to open up, signaling that they were coming in for a landing. You watched, biting your lip, as the quinjet slowly landed. The ramp lowered and the med team was rushing onto it. Steve came down, stopping you from going up.

"I need to be with him," you pled. "Steve, let me go."

"You need to let them work, Y/N," Steve responded. His voice was gentler than what he usually used on missions.

You looked up at him, realizing that he was scared. "Steve... what happened?"

"It was supposed to be a simple mission... in and out. But I suppose we need to stop thinking that, since that's never the case... he was flying and they aimed at him. They shot at his arc reactor."

"What?"

"He went falling down. Thankfully, he wasn't as high as Rhodey was when he fell. But he—"

"Tony!" You exclaimed as you saw them begin to rush his stretcher down the ramp. Steve pulled you to his chest as you fought to get to Tony. "Tony!" The rolled him away. The team watched, in heartbreak, at your reaction from the top of the quinjet ramp. "Tony!"

"Y/N, Y/N, I need you to stop. You're going to hurt yourself."

"Tony!"

Sam came down the ramp to help try and calm you down. "You've got to calm down, Y/N. Breathe."

"He has to make it, Sam... he has to..."

Steve and Sam shared a solemn look, unable to say any words of comfort. You pushed yourself out of Steve's arms, trembling. Bucky, how hadn't gone on the mission, ran into the hanger to see you shaking as the others looked helpless. Bucky came over and gently brought you into his chest. You allowed Bucky to help you inside while the others cleaned up the quinjet and themselves.

Bucky guided you to the waiting area of the med bay. He helped you sit down before sitting beside you. Awkwardly, he took your hand in his. Your lips barely moved up, a ghost of a smile, at the gesture. Slowly, each of the team members joined the two of you in the waiting room. You hadn't stopped shaking, ever so slightly, since Bucky had helped you into the chair. The team kept eyeing each other, worriedly, but didn't know what to do to help you.

So they all waited with you. They took turns bringing food and drinks and asking if there was any news. You were eerily quiet, but not still. You wrung your hands out in front of you as they resting on your bouncing knees. Bucky kept a hand on you at all times, trying to keep you grounded.

It was around the sixth hour mark when news finally came. Helen Cho emerged from the doors that separated the team from their loved one. You couldn't do anything but sit up straighter as various other members stood up. Bucky rested his hand on your back, slowly rubbing circling.

"Helen, just be honest with us," Steve tried to be firm, but he was desperate for news about his friend.

"Tony's scans looked bad," Helen admitted, unable to fully look at you. "So I ordered him into immediate surgery. When we opened him up, he wasn't as bad as we originally thought. Tony has numerous fractures and broken bones. We did our best in surgery and he's currently in the cradle. It looked like he'll make a full recovery, in time."