Tomorrow Part 6 ~ Steve Rogers x Reader

"This is going to feel uncomfortable, Y/N," the doctor warned. "But I just need you to keep breathing out, okay?"

You gave a slight nod as the doctor gently grabbed the tube entering your mouth and going down your throat. Steve was still laying in his own bed beside you, holding your hand. He gave it a gentle squeeze to remind you that he was right there. The rest of the team was outside the room, watching through the windows.

"Alright, let's do this," the doctor said.

You began breathing out as the doctor slowly pulled the tube. You tried to hold by the coughs but failed. Steve squeezed your hand.

"We're almost there," the doctor said. "Keep breathing out."

You did as directed, still coughing, until, finally, the tube was out. You went into a full blow coughing fit then. Steve tried to move closer to help you but Bucky hurried into the room to push him back down.

"Here," Bruce offered, rushing in with a cup of water. "Drink."

Bruce held the cup up to you and guided the straw into your mouth. It was hard at first to suck the water down, but it almost immediately relieved you.

"Thanks," you rasped.

"Y/N," the doctor grabbed your attention. "You're quite the fighter." You gave them a slight smile before the doctor began explaining your injuries and how they had fixed them. "As you may have noticed, you can't feel past your hips," the doctor said, having finished explaining everything else. "Your knee is still shattered and we were waiting to get everything else taken care of before we dealt with it."

"How will you deal with it?"

"Tony and Princess Shuri have been in contact and have a few replacement options."

"Yes," Tony agreed as he wheeled himself in. "She's coming in a few days so that we can go over the options together."

"What happened to you?" You turned to Steve. "What happened to both of you?"

"The doc might have left something out," Steve said shyly. "Your liver transplant... I was the donor."

"Steve," you gasped. "You shouldn't have—"

"I was the perfect match and with the super-soldier serum, I would heal quickly."

"I still don't like it." You turned then to Tony. "And you?"

"Mine's not as heroic," Tony replied. "I may have had... well... it wasn't anything major—"

"He had a heart attack," Steve stated.

"A heart attack?!" You repeated. "Tony!"

"I'm fine. I'm resting," he replied, quickly trying to soothe your worries. "I've been actually following doctor's orders."

"Only because Pepper's been on you like a hawk," Bruce muttered, earning a glare from Tony.

"He is doing better," the doctor confirmed. "Both Tony and Steve are on the mend. You will unfortunately not be healed as fast as them, having sustained so many injuries."

You nodded. "I understand."

"For now, the most important thing for you to do is rest. Myself and the nurses will be in and out to frequently check on you."

"Thank you, doc."

"Of course. I would suggest that everyone leave the room. Both need rest and, perhaps, some time alone." The doctor gave a teasing grin before leaving.

"We'll be back with food in a few hours," Bruce said, grabbing the handles of Tony's wheelchair.

"I'm glad that you're alive, kid," Tony said as he was pushed out of the room. Bruce shut the door behind them.