Love Thy Enemy ~ Steve Rogers x Reader

Word Count: 5,715ish

Request: How about Steve Rogers falling in love with a reader who's his enemy? Enemy to lovers trope ;)

~~~

You couldn't blame any of them for being cold towards you. You did come down with Loki to help take over the world. But you also changed sides and helped end the fight. You told Tony that the Chitauri were being control by a massive control center through the portal. So when the missile showed up, Tony knew just where to put it. You also caught him as he fell from the closing portal.

SHIELD had quickly put you in custody after everything, in which you didn't put up a fight. You cooperated, understanding that what you had done was terribly wrong. Fury was impressed at how willingly you went that he began to let you help, though you were heavily monitored. When Fury talked to the team about bringing you on, only Tony and Thor felt comfortable with it. But it didn't matter what the team wanted, Fury was going to do whatever the hell he felt like doing anyway.

Steve was the coldest towards you, with Bucky not far behind. Which honestly surprised you, since Bucky had once been on the wrong side of things as well. But apparently, those two saw it differently. Bucky had been brain washed, where you had made your own decision. It made training and missions very hard. Steve would push you to your limits, with you obeying because you couldn't let him prove himself right. You were only allowed on missions in which the whole team was there, so that there were enough people that one person could constantly watch you. Usually that one person was Steve, which just got on your nerves.

The two of you were constantly at each other's throats. Not that you hadn't tried at the beginning to be nice, you really had. But over time he had wore you down and given you no option. Besides, you couldn't let him see your true feelings. That handsome Captain had stolen your heart, even though he had never been nice to you. You had seen him be nice to others, so kind and thoughtful. You knew he had it in him, he just didn't have it in him to be nice to you.

Unbeknownst to everyone but Bucky, Steve had begun to feel the same way about you. Which infuriated him. You had helped destroy half of New York, you didn't deserve is love. Right? He had only expressed his thoughts and feelings to Bucky, who quickly shut him down. Reminding Steve that you had chose to help destroy New York, and you could easily do it again.

And because Bucky was his long-time best friend, he began to take everything to heart. Even though his heart would find ways to fall again. Like how you and Thor would banter as you trained. Or how Tony would kiss your temple every time he entered or left the room. He wanted to do all those things with you too. There was also the fact that you woke up early, making sure all the cereals were on the counter, coffee was brewed, and pop tarts were in the toaster.

Fury called you in for a meeting. You were hopeful that he was going to tell you that you could finally go on a mission without the whole team being there. You were grinning the whole way to the conference room but when you entered, your face quickly dropped. Steve was already in there, sitting down with his arms folded. Clearly looking unhappy.

"Nice of you to join us, L/N," Fury commented, standing at the front of the table. "Have a seat."

"Yes, sir," you mumbled, taking the seat across from Steve. You glanced over at him, but he was focused on Fury.

"I've called you two in today because I feel it's time for Y/N to go on a smaller mission."

"No!" Steve quickly responded, harshly. "We can't trust her." You had to fight back the urge to shrink into the chair.

"Stark, Thor, and I trust her. Even Romanoff and Barton have learned to deal with her. It seems the only problem is really you and Barnes." Steve huffed. "I believe she's ready for this."