When it rains it pours

The walls around me might as well say welcome to hell as I stared at them

The walls around me might as well say welcome to hell as I stared at them. It had been another day of abolishing old laws and putting into place new ones with fellow rulers of Onyx. But, of course, they all acted scared and stiff and agreed to anything I said. Having been labeled a goddess had its perks.

Not to say I didn't believe it. Of course, to have been made for God, I would have to be some sort of Goddess, but I just knew I didn't feel like one and didn't know when I would.

"My Queen, a suitor has again requested to speak with you."

I frowned at Grace, and she giggled as I leaned against my headboard and lit a cigarette. I didn't need to speak as I raised an eyebrow at Grace before sticking my tongue out in a gagging motion.

Sighing, I smashed the cigarette in the ashtray and began to roll around in the bed, trying to get comfortable, but my peace was ruined as my door slammed open.

"So, Who decided it was wise to fuck with my sleep, and how would you like to die?" My voice was rough with anger and annoyance. I peered out of my covers and growled. Alex, why won't Ares or his employees leave me alone?

"Now, Would you kill something as delicious as this?"

I suppressed a snort as I raised again in my bed and rested an arm above my head, motioning Alex to come closer simultaneously. I could tell he was still timid of me, but he put on a good, tough guy front.

"What is it, Alex? Is there something I can do for you?"

I had gotten so used to doing for others recently that it just came naturally to ask; in some way, it was painful.

I watched him move out of the corner of my eye to sit on the edge of my bed as he ran a large hand over his face.

"Actually, no."

I looked over at him, puzzled, before rising correctly in the bed and yelling, crossing my legs and leaning forward in interest.

"It's Ares..."

I rolled my eyes and went to lean back as he chuckled and grabbed my hand, keeping me up straight.

"Listen, Alex, no matter what I do, I can't b-" He cut me off with a sudden low growl and a roll of his eyes.

"It has nothing to do with your relationship, really. It's — Ares's spiraling. I know you can't feel him like you used to, just like he doesn't feel you, so you wouldn't know, but my dude is a mess, Katerina."

I raised an eyebrow at him and sighed. I was trying to figure out what he wanted me to do. Why come to me with this?

"I'm not asking you to love him again or even like him, but can you go see him? Try to talk some sense into him. He will die if he doesn't stop what he's doing, Kat. I don't know how else to explain it, but, man, he's fucked up right now."