The air I breath

🖤🤍🖤

As I sat in the throne room looking at each person's come and go, all their stories they had told me, and how I had decided to correct the issues, I felt a headache brewing in the back of my head

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

As I sat in the throne room looking at each person's come and go, all their stories they had told me, and how I had decided to correct the issues, I felt a headache brewing in the back of my head.

I loved my people, but their stories were not so much. It wasn't annoying or aggravating, as it was heartbreaking. My heart hurt for all the damage put on them by my birth parents.

"The next may enter."

I hadn't looked up from writing in my notes what the last man had come to me with as a soft hand came to rest on my shoulder. Instead, I looked up to Grace in question with a small smile, my queue that someone else was ready, and I went to scribble down the last notes.

"State your name."

Graces gripped my shoulder tighter, but I never once looked up as I was too focused on my notes.

"Ares Gabriel Knight."

I froze, not on purpose but in sheer panic. I had not felt Ares, no shiver, not even a tingle down my spine. I took a large breath and slowly set my pen down before looking up at Grace and nodding for her to be dismissed.

I watched her as she bowed and walked to the door giving me one last glance before exiting. She was worried, it was written all over her face, but I had just nodded once before she shut the throne room doors.

It took every fiber to finally look at the man in front of me. He didn't smile. He stood there in front of me, deadpanned, almost emotionless.

"Ares... it's nice to see you again — What may I help you with today?"

My voice didn't weave or lose strength as I recalled our time together. It didn't hurt as bad now. It was as if a storm had come and faded some of the wounds.

"Cut the crap, Katerina, you are queen now, yes, but I know the real you."

I grinned as he began to approach the throne in long strides, and with his height, it didn't take long before I looked up at him as he stood in front of me.

"You knew the old me, Ares, the weak and dying Katerina... But, unfortunately, you no longer know the true Katerina."

I expected his stone face to soften or at least waver, but he never showed a sign of anything, and I grew tired of looking up at him.

So I stood, chin high and back straight, my crown making images of light bounce off the walls.

"You may state your business now if you so wish. I retire to my chambers in five minutes."

I felt pride in myself as I stared into his eyes. A smirk spread across his face taking me back, but I showed no emotion as I crossed my arms over my chest. It had been close to a month since I had last seen him, and I was somewhat puzzled as to why all of a sudden, he had reappeared.

"You can say you are different all you want. But, deep down, you were always this woman, and I knew her. We aren't at war anymore. Can't we stop fighting everything now?"

His voice did nothing to calm me. As he spoke, I envisioned the night I had almost given him everything. I was at that time so beaten, confused, and weak that I had given in to that connection to him. I had told him I loved him, poured my soul out to him, and yet it was all a game... He didn't want to fight anymore?

Warm, calloused hands cupped my face, and I froze mid-thought as my eyes narrowed. Again no shiver, no chills, nothing that would make my heart pound washed over me.

"Can we just put the weapons down and please go back to before all of this."

I reached up, gripping his wrist before yanking them off of me. I didn't know if my jaw could get any tighter or my eyes could narrow anymore, but I knew the anger was growing. Anger was becoming disturbing lately, not that I let it show much because I didn't.

"I have done my part, Ares. I don't know what else you are asking of me. We aren't fighting, We are doing what is asked of us. I'm sure you have noticed that our markings are fading -- We are no longer bound to each other, so you need to leave and go live your life. Have I not given you everything?"

He stood in front of me, face slack and blinking over and over. Letting out a sigh, I leaned forward, placed a soft peck on his cheek, and turned as I began to walk out of the room.

"Does he mean that much to you?"

I stood staring at the exit for what felt like hours, my knees shaking just thinking about much I felt about Onyx. Then, finally, I turned, eyes hot but body chilled at what I knew I was about to do to him. He had mentally screwed with my mind for months, and I didn't want to do the same to him, but he had to understand. Once and for all, at least, I hoped.

"He is everything to me. He's the air I breathe, The reason my heart beats -- I am nothing without him, Ares -- He is my soul. One day... You will meet her, and you will understand, But I am not her."

I spun on my heels and quickly made my exit into the corridor. I felt like my lungs were made of stone as I tried to take a breath in. A panic attack, no doubt, had settled into my chest, and I leaned against the wall in support.

"Your Grace?"

I glanced up at Grace and wanted to chuckle at the stupidity of myself and Ares. But, instead, I prayed he had learned by now that our marks were fading each day, and he was free to choose whoever he wanted and begin rebuilding his race, and as for me? I was to suffer for the kingdom and its people, but I wished to just be at peace.

 But, instead, I prayed he had learned by now that our marks were fading each day, and he was free to choose whoever he wanted and begin rebuilding his race, and as for me? I was to suffer for the kingdom and its people, but I wished to just be at...

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Okay... I'm leaning toward more of a pairing of Katerina/Onyx, but I need your input, guys!!

Please vote and comment. Let me know your thoughts!

The Pieces Of A Goddessजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें