Chapter 18

We drove put of school campus, powered by pure spontaneity.

Having not eaten lunch, we went to a Burger King and ordered two meals.

He drove, smiling, and I smiled too. His hand found mine, entwining our fingers. Not a word was exchanged, but we found a sense of serenity with only the wind blowing past us and the car's muted hum.

We stopped, and I realised we were at the same trail where we shared chicken wings and a bit of our lives.

So much happened in such little time.

He took my hand and we walked to the meadow. It was the same, but something was different. Last time I was here, there was a hint of some sort of mysterious phenomenon. But now, there was a more homely aura, and a silent invitation to proceed further into the dense grass.

The tree, which was once covered with pink flowers, was now bare. But despite its desolate appearance, it blended into the new view.

He lead me to the tree, sitting down and leaning against it. I sat down next to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Something has changed. I feel different, more light." He said, playing with my fingers.

"Maybe you lost weight." I suggested. He laughed.

"Or, maybe it's because of you." He countered.

"Well, in that case, I'm glad I could help you lose weight." I said, smiling. He laughed, and let go off my hand to rest his head on my lap.

I smiled at him and he smiled back. My hand automatically went to his hair, tugging gently and playing with it.

You know people's hair in shampoo commercials? All soft and nice and thick and soft and smooth and shiny and bouncy and soft? His hair was better. I don't know how, but it was.

"Sing a song for me, please?" He asked.

"What do you want me to sing?" I asked.

"You're favorite song when you were, well, 5?" He suggested. I laughed, as a strong breeze blew to my right.

"You want me to sing Barbie Girl?" I asked, still laughing. He laughed too.

"No. God, no!" He exclaimed. We were both laughing now. "A song that holds many wonderful memories then." He suggested again.

I closed my eyes an enjoyed the cool breeze. Opening my eyes, I looked at the grey sky, and started to sing.

"Hold me close and hold me fast,
The magic spell you cast,
This is la vie en Rose.
When you kiss me, heaven sighs,
And though I close my eyes,
I see la vie en Rose.
When you press me to your heart,
I'm in a world apart,
A world where roses bloom.
And when you speak angels sing from above.
Everyday words seem to turn into love song!
Give your heart and soul to me,
And life will always be,
La vie en Rose."