Chapter 16

I turned the radio on and was greeted with The Ting Tings' That's Not My Name. I put my apron on and took out the dosa batter and tomato chutney that foi had kept in the refrigerator.

I put the pan on the stove and turned on to a medium flame, greasing the pan with oil. Arjun raised his eyebrows at me.

"Four letter word just to get me along
It's a difficulty and I'm biting on my tongue and I
I keep stalling, keeping me together
People around gotta find something to say now
Holding back, everyday the same
Don't wanna be a loner
Listen to me, oh no
I never say anything at all
But with nothing to consider they forget my name ame, ame, ame" I turned around and put some batter on it. I put the pans lid, took the spatula and used it as a microphone and continued singing.

"They call me 'hell', they call me 'Stacey'
They call me 'her', they call me 'Jane'
That's not my name, that's not my name
They call me 'quiet' but I'm a riot
Mary-Jo-Lisa, always the same
That's not my name, that's not my name
That's not my name, that's not my name" I sang, with the used whisk as a microphone.

The dosa was now cooked, and I took it off of the pan. Putting more batter on the pan after greasing it, I turned around and continued singing.

"I miss the catch if they throw me the ball
I'm the last chick standing up against the wall
Keep up, falling, these heels they keep me boring
Getting glammed up and sitting on the fence now
So alone all the time at night
Lock myself away
Listen to me, I'm not
Although I'm dressed up, out and all with
Everything considered they forget my name ame, ame, ame"

I continued the same pattern until the song ended, and cooked 4 dosas. Hey Ya by the Outkast started to play, and I made 4 more dosas, while simultaneously dancing and singing.

"That was very entertaining." Arjun said, smiling at me teasingly once I was done. I put the cooked dosas and now warm chutney on the kitchen counter.

He got up and walked towards me, still smiling. I smiled back, and raised an eyebrow.

"We aim to please." I said as he reached me. He put his hands on the counter with me in between them. He closed the distance off, and our faces were only centimeters apart.

Someone cleared their throat, and I looked to see Raghav standing there awkwardly.

And to make things more awkward, Arjun kissed me on the cheek, thinking they were my lips.

"Hey." He greeted, smiling to ease the tension. I nodded my head at him and pushed Arjun off me.

"Oh come on!" Arjun said, looking exasperated.

"One kiss?" He asked.

"Later." I said.

"Pleeeeeeeeease?" He begged. I blushed, realising my brother was still there.

"I said later." I replied, smiling despite trying to look serious.

"Okay." He said as he sat took the food effortlessly to the dining table. Taking three plates and glasses, I followed him, Raghav trailing behind with orange and cranberry juice.

The house was surprisingly clean, despite the party last night.

"I got up early and cleaned the house. Even though there wasn't much to clean. Because I made sure the house would be clean." He explained, noticing me noticing.

I, of course, being the typical dramatist, ignored his every word.

I sat opposite Arjun, and Raghav sat next to him.