Not friends

Luka, Jake, and Apple left campus and ended up in a sandwich bar called Crisco's, where all three of them ordered the same house special sandwich, the same sandwich Luka and Jake ate before any big game.

The sandwich bread was spinach and oregano, filled with cream cheese with herbs, turkey, and salad, topped with dill dressing, but most important was the secret ingredient, making it a house special.

Jake moans out. "I swear to god, if my folks weren't making me work for them I'd be working here after graduation."

Luka snorted, but silently agreed, they were that good, which made him wonder how Apple liked her sandwich as she's been silent since they began eating.

"Was it good?" Luka asked Apple, noticing her sandwich was gone too.

Apple nodded her head, unable to keep hold of his intense gaze. "Y-Yeah, it was good." She shyly said.

"Good?" Jake says sarcastically. "I'm convinced they're the sole reason for our football success, right Luka?" 

Luka could only roll his eyes at his friend. "Sure."

Apple giggles filled the table as Luka caught Jake looking at him from the corner of his eye, with a knowing grin.

"So, Brady." Jake looks to Apple. "What are your plans after graduation? Can't be worse than my situation."

As much as Luka wanted to know this question, he couldn't help but hate that Jake got to ask her first, after all, ever since Luka found out about Apple he had tried so hard to find out anything about her.

After a short pause, Apple hums and shifts on her seat, avoiding Jake and Luka's curious gaze as her face grimaces slightly.

"We are not so different. "She says quietly. "My father... he left his company to me." 

Jake's brows rise in surprise as Luka silently listens to her continue to talk.

"He passed away not long ago..."

So that's why she's so hard to figure out, Luka thought, she is still clearly mourning the loss of her dad, and getting everything handed to her.

Luka had to wonder if that was why she was always alone, because of losing her dad, he could relate just a bit about how she must feel, Luka was never close to his dad so Luka thought his dad might as well be gone.

If Luke Ellis, his dad was gone, then his mom and sister would never have to deal with him ever again, but that thought was something for another day, Luka didn't like thinking of him that much, he had a way to sour his mood.

"Shit I'm sorry." Jake says sympathetically. 

Luka could feel Apple's mood drifting, and for some reason, it made him find her hand under the table and grab hold of her hand, and intertwine his fingers with hers.

Apple immediately perked up, and was no longer frowning as she jumped in her seat at his touch, she lifted her head and looked in the direction of Luka, with a beautiful blush on her cheeks.

So beautiful, pictures of last night flooded his mind, Apple flustered underneath him, it was a picture-perfect moment, and one he would not forget any time soon.

"What kind of company did your dad own?" Luka asks.

Apple swallows hard as she gently squeezes his hand in hers. "Um... it's called Syker."

Luka froze, because he knew exactly what Syker was, and so did Jake and every single person in LA and the world, it was a multibillion-dollar company that focuses on rockets, electronics, and science, but most importantly Luka now knew who her father was, and why she was reluctant to talk about herself.