Special someone

Luka was silently thankful that Jake wasn't in the dorms when he and Nat arrived, he was simply too wound up to deal with Jake being all over him with questions whilst he sneaks glances at his sister.

No, in fact, Jake had sent him a text just as they got into his dorm that he was staying the night at Vee's sorority house, making Luka beyond happy that he wouldn't be home, nor asking questions he didn't want to answer right now.

He'd settled his sister in as much as he could, he ordered her pizza, gave her his bed, and a spare key to his dorm, he noticed that she was taking it all with a grain of salt, she'd settled in and dropped the subject of using his trust fund.

Luka was staring at his phone, all he wanted to do now was to get away, to see the quiet girl who somehow makes everything quieter in his head, the more he looked at his phone, the more he was counting the minutes before he had to leave.

"So, how is she?" Nat asked, making Luka look up from his phone.

"How is who?"

She rolled her eyes and popped a piece of gum in her mouth as she typed on her laptop. "Apple, you idiot."

Luka frowned. "I told you already."

Nat closed her laptop. "I'm not dumb Luka, you've been staring at your phone for the past.." She checks her watch. "Thirty-two minutes."

"You're going to meet her right? That's why you've been creepily staring at your phone." She smugly says, as a smile forms.

Luka groans out and gets up from Jake's bed. "I'm not going over this again Nat, I just felt sorry for-"

Nat scoffs loudly. "Yeah right, and I'm a virgin."

Luka tried and failed to not laugh. "You? Virgin? You're worse than me."

"Shut up." She punches his arm. "C'mon tell me, do you like her? Have you told her? Did she tell you she liked you too?" She asks, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Luka couldn't hide his disgust at his sister's words. "You watch way too many chick flicks Nat." He sighed out loudly. "I don't know, you're crazy, no and no."

"Are you satisfied now?" He asks, rolling his eyes as he slips his trainers on.

"Nope." She cheerily sang out. "Can I come?"

Luka's eyes almost popped out of his head, and before he could stop himself, the words flew out before he could bite his tongue. "No!"

There it was, what he knew would come, the smile, the smile his sister gave him whenever she knew someone Luka didn't and as much as it shouldn't annoy him, it did, and that drove him crazy.

His sister's laugh fills the room just as his phone buzzes in his pocket, and for the first time since she arrived, Luka was sure this was the first time he had heard her laugh or smile, and even though she was laughing at him, he was somewhat glad she wasn't too upset from earlier.

Luka looked at his phone and saw that Apple had actually texted him.

🍎: Hi Luka, it's Apple... From USC, where should I meet you?

🍎: Um also do you like water? I'm just curious

🍎: I'm so sorry, ignore that... sorry, of course, you like water...

🍎: Unless you don't, then I'm so sorry, ignore me

Luka smiled just as his sister sneaked up behind him and grabbed his phone, making Luka groan out and snatch the phone back just before she could read all of his messages.

"Oh my god, she's so cute!" Nat squealed, just as Luka took the phone from her.

"Nat, I swear to fucking god-"

"Bla Bla Bla, she's totally in love with you! And you know it!" She says excitably, still squealing.

Luka blankly looked at his sister without emotion, turned around and ignored her childish annoying behavior completely, grabbed his jacket, car keys, and wallet then put his hand on the door handle to leave.

Nat groans out. "Okay I'm sorry, seriously though, you should be careful with her Luka."

Luka wanted to ignore her and just leave, but he was curious why she'd tell him to be careful, Luka was three times the size of Apple, nobody was taking him by surprise, especially not a petite shy, and quiet girl.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

She shrugged. "You don't know her, yet you're meeting her." Theirs a pause. "All I'm saying is she seems really sweet, but she is still the girl who stalked you for two years and left Apples of all things in your locker."

Luka snorted, loudly.

"Nat." He sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "Stay out of my stash."

With that, he opened the door and left the dorm room with Nat behind.

He texted Apple to meet him by the beach, he thought that would be the best way to meet, it was familiar and close to her house, if he had to drop her off again, or if she wanted to leave.

Luka didn't need to hear that from his sister of all people, Luka knew just by being around Apple that she was different than the others he knew, just from a simple meeting he knew she was far from being capable of anything that would cause him harm.

The thought made him laugh if anything he thought the girl was amusing, the way her face changed with each question Luka asked or any word he spoke, he actually found it amusing that he had that effect on a girl, it was new and it was fun.

She was special, and for some crazy unknown reason, the idea of spending time with the 'girl who stalked him for two years and left apples in his locker' made him forget all about his argument with his parents, and the stress of football.

His life, in general, was forgotten, all because of this shy girl who he had never even noticed before, Luka was sure he wasn't interested in her, not in a way his sister thought, but he had to wonder what he found so appealing about Apple.

She was the pale, quiet, and introverted girl nobody had heard of, yet something was telling him that wasn't all she was, and that she was much more than what he was seeing, and the idea of finding out more about her was appealing to him.

The past didn't matter anymore, the stalking, the apples, although it was odd, it became something he had gotten used to, and if his sister thinks Apple is weird, then he was sure she'd think Luka had lost his mind if she could read his.

He was going to meet her, for the second time in the span of 24 hours, without his sister or anybody overshadowing him or questioning him, he just wanted to be around somebody who wasn't anyone he knew.

Luka liked that he didn't know her, it was new and refreshing, and that was exactly his sister's words meant nothing to him, unlike Nat, Luka was adventurous and liked to take risks in his life, while his sister prefers to stand by and watch.

Something was telling Luka that Apple was like him, but he didn't know exactly how she was, all he knew was that Apple Brady isn't who she thought she was, he could see her before she even spoke to him, she was like him, and she knew it, he knew she knew it.

Like Luka, she wanted something from people who couldn't give her anything, because people like Luka and Apple are different species entirely, or so he liked to think, truthfully his sister was right, he didn't know her, only guessed.

Guessing or not, he was glad to get away from everything and everyone he knew, if only for a night, he wanted to hang out with the quiet girl, the stalker, heck, he was looking forward to it.

Apple Brady was what he needed right now, even if she didn't speak nor look at him much, her presence did something to Luka that relaxed him completely, it should scare him that a complete stranger had this power over him, but it didn't.

Not one bit.