prologue

minho did not remember the last time he had been this mad. he clenched his fists as he observed chan's akward attempts to help hyunjin brush his hair from the furthest corner of the dressing room. chan's actions were just a sorry excuse. hyunjin's hair was not even tangled. it looked as silky and shiny as ever, making its owner's already stunning visuals stand out even more. 

when hyunjin graced chan with a beautiful smile, his lovely plump lips mouthing a thank you, minho felt the pain of a thousand needles pierce his heart. it hurt to see hyunjin smile at everyone but him. it hurt to hear him compliment every member but him. minho knew that he should not blame the members. hyunjin was irresistible. it was impossible to look at him and not fall. but jealousy roared inside his head with the deafening roar of a dragon. 

"hyung, what's wrong?" 

jisung had approached him, unnoticed, and was giving him a concerned look.

"why are you glaring at chan like he ate your breakfast? or did you fight with hyunjinie again?"

jisung tsked and shook his head in disapproval.

"all you two ever do is argue."

he sent hyunjin a dreamy look.

"how can you argue with him? now, when i remember that he and i did not get along, i can't believe that i managed to be mean to someone this lovely. just look at him. he is perfect."

minho had stopped listening. he brushed past jisung, eyes still trained on chan and hyunjin, who were giggling at something only they knew while chan continued to pretend to work on hyunjin's hair. 

yes, he argued with hyunjin all the time. a compliment addressed to hyunjin hardly left his mouth. he called him annoying and urged changbin to play pranks on him more often than on other members. but little did the members know why he did it. little did they know that his breath hitched every time hyunjin looked at him with those hypnotizing eyes of his. little did they know that every time hyunjin hugged him his heart beat so fast that he was afraid that it could break out of his ribcage. little did they know that he was mean to hyunjin because he was trying, unsuccessfully, to stop the unrequited love that was burning him from within. but no matter how loudly his mind was screaming that he did not have the right to be jealous of what was not his, that it was natural for hyunjin to be drawn to those who were nice to him, he could not stop himself from wanting to murder chan – sweet, caring bang chan, who had done him nothing wrong, except for obviously hitting on hyunjin.

minho snatched the hairbrush from chan's hand. startled, chan took a step back. minho held the leader's gaze, trying to ignore the feeling of hyunjin's eyes on himself. he could bet that in a few seconds hyunjin's surprise would turn to annoyance.  

"you aren't dressed for the photoshoot yet," blurted he out before chan or hyunjin had a chance to open their mouths. "why are you brushing his hair? the hairdressers will be hear in a minute."

chan smiled awkwardly, stealing a glance at hyunjin.

"hyunjinie and i were just chatting about something."

"chan and i are going to his studio tonight," hyunjin supplied, raising his chin in a provocative manner. go on, be jealous, his expression was saying to minho. it worked beyond hyunjin's wildest expectations. minho was jealous. 

chan reached out to take the hairbrush, but minho held it out of his reach. 

"he can brush his hair alone. why are you spoiling him so much?"

hyunjin's flawless face remained expressionless, but his eyes lost the smile that had been in them a moment ago. confused, chan looked between the two of them.

"i just like his beautiful hair. you two have been arguing again, haven't you?"

"no," denied hyunjin, rolling his eyes.

"yes," said minho firmly.

"maybe," gave up hyunjin eventually.

chan gave them an accusing look, but then smiled. 

"i will go get ready. please, talk it out after the show."

minho narrowed his cat-like eyes at chan.

"so after flirting with your band mate for the better part of an hour, you are back to being a leader, huh?"

although he was looking at chan, he could virtually sense hyunjin's rolling his eyes again. chan gave him a blank look and frowned. when he spoke, his voice was just as kind as before, though.

"i am not flirting, minho. i just complimented him for how pretty he looks in this outfit," chan said quietly, blushing. he switched to english like usually when he was nervous. the leader of stray kids was an awful liar. "anyways, i gotta go. it is okay to be upset, but pull yourself together for the show, please. i'll treat you to whatever you want afterwards."

chan clapped minho on the shoulder reassuringly and hurried toward felix, who was energetically pointing to where chan's outfit for the day was hung. 

hyunjin faced the mirror again, pouting. even with his arms folded on his chest ungracefully and with an annoyed expression on his face, he was still mesmerizing. minho caught himself staring at hyunjin's reflection.

"can i get my brush back?" hyunjin asked, not meeting his gaze. the tension between them was thick as honey.

hesitantly, minho handed him the brush. their fingers brushed – hyunjin's cold and his hot. 

"are you nervous?" minho asked quietly. every member knew that hyunjin's hands became icy every time he was nervous. minho wished that only he knew this.

hyunjin turned back to face him. the artificial light coming from the mirror's frame made his face glow. he looked ethereal. 

minho took a deep breath to muster whatever strength and thought there was left in him after hyunjin punched everything out of him with one motion of his elegant head. 

"don't be nervous." minho hesitated. his gaze caressed hyunjin's face and body. he looked beyond gorgeous in his simple black and white outfit. "i'm sure all the members told you this already, but you look stunning today and... and always, and tonight STAY will be talking about you more than about the rest of us."

he turned around without waiting for hyunjin's reaction. he could not be sure whether his imagination was not playing tricks on him, but as he was waking back to his mirror, he heard hyunjin whisper, "when you say it, it means more."

a/n:

i love hyunho