12: Fear and Lies

Start from the beginning

The lights dimmed as Cassius stepped into a spotlight.

"Um- Hello everyone, and welcome to the 372th reaping ceremony! A-as you all know, this group is one of our biggest since the early eras, and a great one to boot! All seven students were eligible to be chosen! That being said, one student won by a large point gap- Or a landslide, so to speak." He stammered, stiffly. He adjusted his tie and cleared his throat before continuing. "Before we reveal the new reaper, Mx. Xen would like to make a few announcements."

Xen stepped into the spotlight and Cassius stepped into the shadows, his figure loosening.

Xen mumbled a 'thank you' before speaking. "Hello, everyone- "

Their voice faded out of focus as Gabriel started talking.

"That dude's a mess, huh?" He hushed.

"Yeah." Grim replied, almost under his breath. "I feel like most of the reapers are."

"I mean, it makes sense! Touch deprivation's gotta catch up to them at some point."

Touch deprivation?

Cassius stepped back into the light.

"Thank you, Xir. Finally, the new reaper is..."

"Touch deprivation?" Grim asked, his face scrunching.

"Grim Skeleton!" Cassius announced. A roar of applause rang through Grim's ears. He froze in bewilderment.

"I knew it!" Gabriel exclaimed. "I told you you'd get it!"

Grim turned to face his father, who was staring at him, grinning. When the two caught eyes, an emotion flashed across his father's face that Grim couldn't quite put his finger on. It almost looked like horror.

It was gone in an instant and he hugged him tightly.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered. He pulled away and nudged Grim forward. Grim, confused, walked up to the platform.

His confusion was easily swept away by happiness as he stepped onto the stage.

Cassius greeted him.

"Hey." The reaper outstretched his gloved hand and shook Grim's. He lowered his voice to a whisper. "Smile, they'll eat it up."

Grim, confused again, did what he was told and was ushered to the center of the platform. His father appeared as if he felt sick. The applause grew in volume, but quickly died down when Xen tapped on his shoulder and gestured for him to move towards the left of the stage.

Across from him, Cassius was fidgeting with a locket he had worn.

Grim still couldn't understand what could make someone emotionally unstable all the time. The reapers should've been able to control their power as long as they were calm, so why would Gabriel mention touch deprivation? Why did Cassius wear gloves, why were all the reapers a mess- Why did my grandparents run? Grim knew he was missing something, but he couldn't quite put the hints together.

Suddenly, a microphone squeaked. Grim winced.

"Uh- sorry about that! Anyways-"

Grim tried to think. Something didn't add up, a puzzle piece was missing. Or, rather, didn't fit. Grim didn't have enough time to go over it. A document appeared in front of him.

"Just read and sign, Grim."

It'll be fine. Can't read through all of this, anyway.